Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommendations for new digital scope and multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Working with older equipment and need to update some equipment.

I never know what I might be working on but most work hovers around automation control, SMPS, VFD, automotive digital and analog, and power grid (high voltage/amperage) type circuits.

I currently have an old B&K 15mhz 2 ch scope (ancient), a Craftsman multi (has served me pretty well), and my trusty Fluke 337. The Fluke goes everywhere with me but very limited to bigger power circuits and very little use in PCB circuit repairs.

I don't electric repairs every day or for a living so I don't really require any extreme level equipment but always better to have more equipment ability than needed.

On the multi, I need basic functions but low ohms would be great. I also would love to have capacitance built in but that might require a specific meter. I commonly just use ESR for testing caps. Obviously diode, AC/DC amps and volts, and temps would be nice. I really would like to most I can get in a meter so I don't have to drag around several meters to cover one job. I have enjoyed the quality of Fluke but I am not sold on it. Probably comparables out there for a fraction of the price?

On the scope, I am honestly not sure what I really need and hoping for some education or direction on this. I think 4ch is a must due to needing to simultaneously monitor and capture overlaying sensors and such. I might for instance need to monitor the output of a MAF sensor while watching the EGR status and mV from an O2 sensor. Obviously the more channels, the merrier but I doubt I would ever need blazing speed running all channels. ]

I do know triggers, recording, and USB connectivity to a PC is a requirement. Recently I am dealing with a sporadic automation fault in which I really need to monitor and record signals from a 1000 line digital encoder until the fault occurs. Another very basic function is simply testing for AC or noise on DC busses.

Because I work around VFDs and servo amps commonly, I may need to monitor 1-3 phases of power to a motor which could exceed 600V. I need to do that safely. I know Fluke has this area well covered with their "analyzers" but I think I can cover all that and more with some differential leads?

Snap on verus.
But not everyone can get a mortgage to buy one.
I work mainly on plant equipment, I have a reasonable but 10 year old scopemeter I hardly use, a cheap megger insualtion tester, a cheap multimeter, a cheap bearing fft analyser, a homemade strobe, a homemade cable tracer, the ubiquitous C beeper and a testlamp, I've never needed anything else.
If where you work requires you to setup equipment and you use a meter to calibrate something that will have an effect on the finished product (did you understand that sentence!) then if said company is quality accredited then you'll need stuff that is callibrated to match the accreditation.

No no, I don't work for any repair or electro mfg facility. We own various pieces of equipment that goes down from time to time. So far I am been able to figure out most things with basic meters.

The megger is certainly on my list though!

Looking very hard at a "hand held scope". However, I am curious if anyone here uses one of these? I am not trying to completely cover my scope needs with it but I think it would get a lot of it for basic stuff. HOWEVER, in looking at some specs, I am finding that the general rated accuracy is not all that great IMO Typically 1%? I see a Fluke DMM rating DCV at .025% Can I really read into the accuracy here? Why the difference in a scope meter? I would think they would be deadly accurate.

What I am finding is Fluke scopes with measurements in DCV and ACV around .5% plus 5 counts, some Asian pieces are about 1% plus 1-3 counts. Fluke DMMs might be around .05% plus 1 count! Even my old Craftsman meter is rated with better specs than new scope meters.

That sort of sucks because I was all pumped that I could get most of this in one device but looks like I still need to buy a trusty DMM for accurate voltage readings.

Last edited:
A megger or should I say insulation tester is handy for checking motor windings, chances are the windings go to earth when the motor burns out.

Allthough the fluke quotes may not be as accurate as some chinese ones I would be surprised if the fluke taking measurements across the board isnt more accurate, the other thing about the fluke I would think that it would take a lot more misuse electrically and mechanically than a import, I have dropped mine and connected the i/p to 44ov when its been set to ohms more than once and it still lives.

I still use a meter as its smaller and doesnt matter if it gets run over or falls in a hydraulic tank, both of which have happened, the meter did not survive.

My most common testers are a battery powered fuse tester led type terminal driver and my testlamp, the big guns only come out when summats really messed up.

With such a wide variety of stuff to fix, I don't think you will find a one size fits all.

I got by with an old 500 kHz bandwidth old Tek scope (212) for a lot of "instrumentation" problems. It obviously didn't work on a 13.56 MHz 1000 W system.

It looks like the Bangood ESR/component tester (It's like $20 USD) that was discussed here by Nigel isn't a bad choice.

You might need a USB MSO (mixed signal scope) for a lot of what your doing. Take a look at **broken link removed** (no experience).

The Scopemeter is probably something nice to bang around with.

I also had a nice AC/DC higher frequency current clamp which was useful. Millivoltmeters were also useful. I think I used a tone milliohmeter once and it was invaluable to find a short.

I would have loved an IR camera and a differential isolation probe. Some IR cameras can superimpose a physical image.

I used my own butane soldering UTi-100 iron which was invaluable for a lot of stuff including shrinking tubing.

Well, it looks like I am securing an older Fluke 867 now. It is a graphical multi but leans more on the multi than scope type functions. I just could not justify a handheld scope if they don't have the accuracy. I will just shop for a real 4ch scope and leave the multi functions to the multi.

The 867 is an interesting piece, with accuracy in DCV/DCA around .025% but also has dual trigger functions, wave form trapping, etc. I am not yet sure if I can really determine things like pulse width though but does have a transient function to trap wild spikes that might be useful. It also has some interesting component test functions. I cannot say I have really run into guessing much on FETs though. They seem to short and results look rather obvious with a shorted gate or blown gate resistor.

I am certainly no pro and I tend to wade in water that is over my britches and more in line with EE level stuff but I fix what I can.

On the scope, I am really trying to determine what speeds I really need. The price inclines steeply.

I do have the cheap DIY ESR meter but it has served me well so far. The 867 will test capacitance to 10,000uf so that should be useful as a secondary tester.

My fluke scopemeter is a 92B, its been around a while now, you see them on ebay for around 300 notes.
I've used mine on stuff from 630v dc drives to 11m hf rf o/p, so its pretty good, it does a load of triggering stuff, the later ones even do runt pulse trigger which is usefull for fault finding esp on drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back