Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommendation for a PIC with large RAM size and 3 breakpoints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,

I'd like to order a PIC with

- large RAM (60KB or more)
- 3 breakpoints (or more)
- I2C Interface
- UART Interface
- driven by 5V (VDD)

Could you please recommend on such?

I'm pretty unexperienced with PICs (worked in the past with 8051).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

Assume you mean 60K + of Program Memory rather than RAM ..?

Have a look at the pic 18F2620 and 4620 chips both with 64K and the features you mention.

If you really mean "large RAM (60KB or more)"! PICs don't have large RAMs. (8 bit parts) I have not used 16 and 32 bit parts.
If you need large data RAM then look at ARM computers.

If RAM can be slow look at an external serial RAM that almost any little PIC can use.

The most ram you are going to find in the 18F series is 3.771484375K. There is no way to keep a working copy of your 60K display in RAM.

If you want to move up to a 16bit 24F you can get RAM sizes up to 96K

Remember the product selector

Wow if anyone out there cares to work with BGA chips check this out. Microchip PIC24FJ256DA210-I/BG 1 cent each
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks a lot guys for the help.

The application is as follows:

Laptop <--UART--> PIC <--I2C--> GLCD Module

(the LCD Module has its own I2C interface)

GLCD Image takes 60KB, however it refershes itself.

I was thinking that every time I'd like to display a certain image on the LCD, the laptop will send the PIC a 60KB image and the PIC will load it in the LCD.

So, therefore I was thinking that I'd need 60KB RAM for that.

What do you think?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
You don't need 60kb of RAM. The PC needs 60kb RAM. The LCD has 60kB of RAM. The PIC only pass the data and does not store anything. The PIC is like the wire between the PC and the LCD. The wire and the PIC do not need to store anything.

And allow for the time to send the data, even at 115kbaud that's only about 11kbyte per second, so 60kbyte sized image will take over 5 seconds to transmit and display.

That could look pretty bad if it required to display one image after another.

If we knew what you want to do we could help.
If you only want to display text then you can hold the entire display in PIC RAM because only the ASCII is in RAM not the displayed graphics.

What breakpoints are those? The ones used for MPSIM?

The MPLAB debugger can be used with MPLAB SIM or with the PIC itself. Some PICs have 1 while more modern ones have 3 breakpoints that can be used for debugging. When debugging with the PIC it is called ICD or In Circuit Debugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back