Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend potentiometer value for output of 555 timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I wondered if you could recommend a potentiometer resistance value.

I would like to take the output of a 555 timer and attenuate it to between 0-2V as a kind of volume control. This signal will then go to an amp.

Thanks.

What's the input impedance of the amp?

Hi crutschow,

That is an excellent question. The amp chip itself is the LM3886. I know the output impedance as an audio amp is best at 4 or 8 ohms. THe input impedance, hmm, I just went through the datasheet but that number eluded me. There seemed to be a reference to 10K but I didn't quite understand it. The datasheet shows Rin as a potentiometer with a value of 10K then a series 1K resistor going to the input.

Thanks,

Antknee.

Attachments

• LM3886 datasheet.pdf
    852.4 KB · Views: 142
Then I would think a 10k pot would work for your requirement. You might want to add a resistor in series with the 555 output to the pot to limit the maximum voltage to the amp.

What is the 555 output voltage?

I found a post on this forum which noted the output of a 555 at 7.7Vpp. I checked a datasheet and it was noted at 10Vpp, but I'm not completely adept at reading datasheets. If the output is 7.7Vpp would the 10K pot allow me to input 0-2Vpp?

Thanks,

Antknee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back