Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend me a nice digital multimeter, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

I once had a multi-meter that is in the ~20 dollars range. It can do volts, amps, ohms, capacitance, inductance, continuity check, and temperature. That was a nice set of functions for a low price meter. And it was very precise as well, and had a large LCD, which enables you to identify the digits even if you are far away using long leads. It even had a protection fuse. My kids made me lose it, unfortunately.

I don't remember the brand, so I can't really look for it. But, remembering how it served me well, I can conclude that it doesn't take $$$ to get a nice digital meter.

I'm sure many of you use great multimeters which are low price. Can you please recommend me a nice little all around digital multimeter?

No need for an expensive fluke I think.

Thanks.

Last edited:
eeblog's David Jones is one of the best there is on the whole net.

The most important thing in modern handheld DMM is CAT safety since the features sets and accuracy are well established in the low cost price range, about 0.5-1% for all the ranges.

By insuring it meets all the regulations for safety by the IEC, it will coincidentally mean the device is well made. Quality has deteriorated a lot on the low end of the DMMs, particularly no name Chinese models, so up front they look like they work, but its only when things go wrong or it becomes inaccurate some months later, that its too late to return it.

FWIW by comparison, the same features in non-CAT safety rated DMM can be had as low as $3, from Harbor Freight. They almost universally do not have a 3rd party certification, so avoid those that have only the nearly useless CE mark.Certifying bodies for safety are UL, ETL, TUV or similar. A lot of IEC regulations up the cost, but it has separated the workable, safety made and durable DMM from the chaff.

Consider Extech MN15A or something similar by Amprobe or Greenlee. Avoid no name brands; even Sear brand could be a relabeled Extech of even a low cost Fluke, but you never know. Buy one from a maker of testing gear, that's all they do so chances are they do it better.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=49&prodid=656

$25; price based on Amazon deals and super saver shipping.

41NE-%2BRX4IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The lower cost $20 MN 35 is very similar, but not certified and slightly smaller LCD screen.
51zcIUMX4xL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=49&prodid=297

If you've ever been to a doctor's office, I don't think saving the $5 is worth the risk, even if its small.

Last edited:
I don't remember the brand, so I can't really look for it. But, remembering how it served me well, I can conclude that it doesn't take $$$ to get a nice digital meter.

Thanks.

Sorry, I am an professional technician 42 years old,
the expression nice digital meter it is totally unknown to me.

Even so, if your budget is around 130$ you can get an small worthy Agilent U1233.

Last edited:

Thanks. Lengthy videos though! Didn't finish them all. Saw the last one.

eeblog's David Jones is one of the best there is on the whole net.

The most important thing in modern handheld DMM is CAT safety since the features sets and accuracy are well established in the low cost price range, about 0.5-1% for all the ranges.

By insuring it meets all the regulations for safety by the IEC, it will coincidentally mean the device is well made. Quality has deteriorated a lot on the low end of the DMMs, particularly no name Chinese models, so up front they look like they work, but its only when things go wrong or it becomes inaccurate some months later, that its too late to return it.

FWIW by comparison, the same features in non-CAT safety rated DMM can be had as low as $3, from Harbor Freight. They almost universally do not have a 3rd party certification, so avoid those that have only the nearly useless CE mark.Certifying bodies for safety are UL, ETL, TUV or similar. A lot of IEC regulations up the cost, but it has separated the workable, safety made and durable DMM from the chaff.

Consider Extech MN15A or something similar by Amprobe or Greenlee. Avoid no name brands; even Sear brand could be a relabeled Extech of even a low cost Fluke, but you never know. Buy one from a maker of testing gear, that's all they do so chances are they do it better.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=49&prodid=656

$25; price based on Amazon deals and super saver shipping.

View attachment 56911

The lower cost $20 MN 35 is very similar, but not certified and slightly smaller LCD screen.
View attachment 56912

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=49&prodid=297

If you've ever been to a doctor's office, I don't think saving the $5 is worth the risk, even if its small.

Thanks. I know how to think this out now.
Sorry, I am an professional technician 42 years old,
the expression nice digital meter it is totally unknown to me.

Even so, if your budget is around 130$ you can get an small worthy Agilent U1233.

I don't see your point sir, the one I had was nice for me.

Last edited:
sram, what you use it for is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back