Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

recommend me a barebones robotic arm kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

hiya everybody

i searched on the internet for a good robotic arm kit but i found out that most of them were wayyyy expensive. about all of them had a microcontroller or a PC interface with a good looking software. but then i thought, what the heck!!! i can do the controlling part myself with a PIC microcontroller. so would someone help me find a robotic arm kit which only has the mechanical assembly and motors. ill do the rest myself

wow not a single reply :shock:

anyway i have the above stated problem sorted out (well, sort of)

now the main problem is that RC servo motors are really expensive and i can get lots of stepper motors for dirt cheap prices. but positioning with stepper motors is not absolute so what should i go for?

go to ur local model shop and see if they have anything cheaper. I got my 'standard' servo's for £4 each (well only after blowing one up (litterally) and going out to seek replacements)

i have gone to a local model shop and the cheapest mini servo they have is for Rs. 700 (thats about 7 pound sterlings) and the Hitech mini servo that i liked while surfing on the internet is Rs. 1450. standard size servos are more expensive

i know that the price is not that much but i need at least one mini servo and 5 standard size servos.

what do you guys say about using a stepper instead of a servo

Don't know how much is too mcuh but lynxmotion.com has a 5 axis kit for
around $170. Kit comes with all the mechanicals and the servos.

**broken link removed**

I have bought a couple of there kits and they are really nice.

They also have a 6 axis kit for a little more.

Hope that helps.

samcheetah said:
what do you guys say about using a stepper instead of a servo

It all depends if you can provide a suitable absolute feedback system,?, if you can connect a potentiometer in some way (rather like a servo), that would be fine.

actually Kingpin094 my design is resembles the Lynx5 alot. but the reason i cant order the kit is that (1) the freight charges for my country are usually very high and the custom clearance for such an item would be a real pain (2) the instructor who has told me to make a robotic arm says that you shouldnt buy a premade kit.

so im stuck with milling and machining the mechanical assembly myself (ofcourse i will need help from others).

and Nigel resistive feedback isnt that much accurate. so how about the idea of a home switch?

sam ,i did not see your post..
a home switch is not all you would need if you go with a stepper , because what if the stepper skips, due to loading, you will need an accurate optical position sensor, as well as your home switch..
what about making your own DC servo , there must be some old copiers lying around , they have great parts in them, like DC/AC motors some even have position sensors on them...

thanx for your reply williB

i found the following project at the DPRG website

**broken link removed**

so if i make an optical encoder as the one in the project and add a home position switch, will i be able to accurately position the stepper.

i think there will be lots of calibration involved for the positioning mechanism. and there is one other concern, i have to get the Hamamatsu P5587 IR emitter/detector that is used in the project. i hope i do get it from somewhere.

and ill also see if i can get some motors out of a copier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back