Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend a good 68HC11/HC12 trainer with graphical debugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

I want to set up a lab for some students as a first micro course. We like the HC11 or HC12, so that's what we're set on.

I don't like Buffalo, but a graphical debugger IDE that allows for single stepping and real time breakpoints, registers, memory etc in windows is a must.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something like this? Preferably something that you've used already? Thanks.

Analog said:
I want to set up a lab for some students as a first micro course. We like the HC11 or HC12, so that's what we're set on.

I don't like Buffalo, but a graphical debugger IDE that allows for single stepping and real time breakpoints, registers, memory etc in windows is a must.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something like this? Preferably something that you've used already? Thanks.
Technological Arts is the place to go for that. I've got a fair collection of their boards, both HC11 and HC12. Just recently bought a BDM Pod for my various 812 and 912 boards. The debugger is text tho. Runs in a serial terminal. It's very simple to use.

If you decide to order technologicalarts boards, take your time and be sure you understand the connector options properly. They can be ordered with many different configurations. If you order the wrong thing you'll be kicking yourself later when you have to use odd adapters for connecting stuff. They do have a good selection of adapters available for doing whatever you might dream up.

Another nice product at a nice price is the DRAGON12-Plus Development Board, by Wytec.

Both companies cater to the educational market.

Though I tinker with PICs and AVR's a lot now, I've always had a soft spot for Motorola CPU's (renamed Freescale now). The first assembly language I learned was in the early 80's on my TRS-80 Color Computer - the good old 6809. Moved up to a 68030 later and programmed in C and assembler.

Last edited:
I've seen those Technological Arts boards at Creatron, I think they're made in Toronto. I didn't know the HC11 & HC12 had a debugger.

I programmed the old 6502 on my PET while I was in school with machine code. Puddles of fun.

blueroomelectronics said:
I've seen those Technological Arts boards at Creatron, I think they're made in Toronto. I didn't know the HC11 & HC12 had a debugger.
Only the HC12's can do debugging. HC11 is pretty obsolete and slow, though they're still a terrific little MCU.

I programmed the old 6502 on my PET while I was in school with machine code. Puddles of fun.
Ha! :D The good old days! I wrote a floppy disk hex editor called Snap for the Coco. It could edit any byte or nybble on the disk, in both hex and ASCII. It could format any part of the disk you wanted - sector, track, whole disk. It was all assembler and was the fastest thing around. I think I sold 2 copies before it was pirated to death. :p

blueroomelectronics said:
Just found this, like a trip down memory lane...
**broken link removed**
Haha! I still have a mint condition TRS-80 Model 3 (as well as several Cocos). They all still work, but I never use em anymore. I have a ZX81 too.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I'm familiar with Wytec.

Dear all,
I am new to microcontroller, but have brought the evaluation boards, F1 board (aspisys.com), which give some files & softwares but fails to teach exactly how to start !!!

1. I have installed the asmide ,I manage to use it to assemble the sample file lcd.asm files to lcd.s19, but the Terminal tab displays rubbish char and does nothing when I download. (i suspect the board doesnt come with buffalo.
2. I have also manage to use B11.exe to download my lcd.s19 files but after download I reset my board, LCD still blank.
May I know anyone can tell me what I should do next?
they also have lcd.mod files and lcd.inc files but how come got so many files? how do I include them and compile as 1 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back