Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

recomendations for a pic based robot kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

hi guy's, i am looking for a pic based robot kit for logan for christmas. Budget around £150 ish but not rigid. pic based 18f pref or 30f. fairly easy for him to assemble. i know there are loads out there but i am after recomendations preferably from people who have one.
obviously i would like the complete chassis, he has a pikit 2 and a pickit3, ive seen some pic 32 based ones at farnel but i have no pic32 experiance, so ideas and thoughts if you would be so kind
cheers

Within that budget I would suggest a decent mechanical platform, the size and durability you need for the tasks it does, and then choose a PIC based controller board (one with a display) suitable for your code and your programmer. You might also need a pair of motor drivers.

In other words think of it more like a kit or a "built to your needs" platform, rather than trying to find a perfect complete robot platform that just happens to use a PIC.

thanks Roman, choosing the chassis is the hard p[art lol so many out there and no real idea what i should get him, maybe just a simple solid chassis and take it from there. I dont want to ask him for obvious reason's. maybe build up a 'kit' is a better way to do it........

Obviously I can't decide for you but generally you either get a small robot suitable for desktops and fine flat surface and good for challenge projects like line following or maze navigation etc...

Or you go for a larger robot (maybe >8" sized) with large diameter wheels that will work well on a floor, maybe even on carpet or mats. Larger ones would be easier to mount fun stuff on later like grippers or a rotating sensor head, you get the idea. If you go that way you can get something more rugged that might have metal drive shafts, actual ball bearings in the wheels etc. A wheel just mounted on the end of a gearmotor shaft is much less durable, but can be ok if the gearmotor is a rugged type with a large metal output shaft like 6mm diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back