Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

recomend some BJT's and FET's

Status
Not open for further replies.

clipo

Hi all im starting to learn about BJTs and FETs and want to buy a few of these devices to experiment with in various ways like a simple class a amplifier or power switch or any thing else I come across that takes my fancy.

So could any one recomend some that are worth buying I would like cheap ones since Im prob going to blow a few up and im not 100% botherd if they are perfect for the job ie class a amp just some thing to get the feel of the devices.

I will be buying them from maplin "www.maplin.co.uk" so would be best if they stock them...

Thanks.

clipo said:
Hi all im starting to learn about BJTs and FETs and want to buy a few of these devices to experiment with in various ways like a simple class a amplifier or power switch or any thing else I come across that takes my fancy.

So could any one recomend some that are worth buying I would like cheap ones since Im prob going to blow a few up and im not 100% botherd if they are perfect for the job ie class a amp just some thing to get the feel of the devices.

I will be buying them from maplin "www.maplin.co.uk" so would be best if they stock them...

Thanks.
The complementary pair (NPN/PNP) BC547C/BC557C (I buy them at less then .08$) for general purposes and 2N4401/2N4403 for low noise (preamp etc.) and switching app.The last pair can be replaced (with lesser performance) by the cheaper and more comon 2N3904/2N3906.
For MOS-FET use 2N7000(low power) or IRF540(Higher power) for N chanel. About P chanel...wel...don't bother.:)

Last edited:
I've seen the prices on Radio Shack & Maplin and are quite high. Isn't any hoby shop or something with lower prices?

Yes, Maplin are quite pricey. The only way to avoid those prices is by buying online from somewhere like Rapid electronics. There may still be a few odd electronics shops around, but Maplin is the only one I could name in the UK. I expect if you are buying a few small parts, it is cheaper from a store than from online due to the postage charges.

Hero999 said:
I disagree, it's always handy to keep the odd P-channel MOSFET in stock, they come in handy for switching grounded loads, in switching regulators and audio amplifiers, IRF9140 is good for power and BS250 for small signal.

Also the CD4007 is good for experiments.
http://www.us.oup.com/us/pdf/microc...al.pdf#search=" complementary pair inverter "
Hmmm...u got a point.:)
BTW ...know a simple metod for seeing what pin is what at a MOS-FET?
Using a multimeter or a simple circuit? I've got some MOS-FET thingies and I can't find a datasheet, only a brief description.

The drain and source should measure about 0.6V one way round and open circuit the other way using the diode test function, the gate should read open circuit with respect to all other terminals.

On second thoughts, read this: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hero999 said:
The drain and source should measure about 0.6V one way round and open circuit the other way using the diode test function, the gate should read open circuit with respect to all other terminals.

On second thoughts, read this: **broken link removed**
Th a lot! And sorry for asking&threading. U seem to know a lot about MOS-FET's and I was'n sure you'l watch that thread.

Newark was a very large and fairly low price American electronic parts distributor that got bought by Farnell. Isn't Farnell British? They have branches in many countries.

audioguru said:
Newark was a very large and fairly low price American electronic parts distributor that got bought by Farnell. Isn't Farnell British? They have branches in many countries.

Farnell bought Newark? I always thought it was the other way round.
Either way the combined "OneSite" is fantastic!!!

it means that I can order UK-rare IC's and the US can then also get access to UK/EU parts (the biggest advantage is mechanical stuff like metric screws)

Thanks every one for your replys I will buy a selection of those parts for my fun this weekend, I do buy parts from www.cpc.co.uk they are a part of the farnell group but Ive found them to be a little bit more expencive on the odd parts compaired to maplin and as Dr EM said the postage makes a differance when your only getting the odd few bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back