Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recoil generator for toy gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I was wondering how I might go about making a recoil generator for a toy shotgun/sniper rifle/something of that size. It'd be nice if it could be battery powered (low current), but strength takes priority over being wireless. (This is for a "light gun". Think arcade guns.) I would like the recoil to be as close as possible in strength to a real gun. Any ideas? All I can think of is to use a solenoid, but I need more details than that... Thanks.

Rain

POwer

You do realize how much power is in the kick of a real gun right? Like bruise your shoulder type of kick in some of them. That's some serious juice there that would be needed. Like I mean possibly battle-bot battery or a wall-cord or something.

Think about it, F=ma. You want the same amount of force and your gun doesn't way as much as a real one so it needs to accelerate even faster (or am I supposed to be thinking about momentum mv^2). Well, same deally.

Im not sure a solenoid is strong enough or fast enough. Spring sounds more reliable but that's kind of dangerous and you need to recock it at the speed you shoot at.

So much kick you probably wouldn't be able to fire fast enough with enough accuracy to kill the hordes of zombies swarming you, considering the rate that light gun games force you to shoot at.

Last edited:
i would go with some decent power 120vac solenoid. to simulate a real shot gun or high power sniper rifle (.308 up) is out of the question, but a 555 pulse that triggers a relay for a 300watt solenoid might be cute. *shrugs*

Huh... alright then. That much power isn't needed I guess. :p How about just something that gives a fair jolt then? Something stronger than a small hobby motor with an offset weight, but weaker than, well, a real gun?

Electric Rain said:
Huh... alright then. That much power isn't needed I guess. :p How about just something that gives a fair jolt then? Something stronger than a small hobby motor with an offset weight, but weaker than, well, a real gun?

THat's more like it ;). I think you still need to use a AC wall supply line though because the only time I have ever seen light guns do that is Time Cop and those are giant arcade machines plugged into the wall. Plus, with the frequency of the firing the energy will be eaten up too fast for batteries.

Do what the genrl said. Get a 120VAC solenoid (and watch the insulation and saftey) and stick a big weight on the end.

Hey is this really possible? I mean generate a recoil from a light gun?

For a real gun, there is a bullet that shoots out with a certain momentum and by the laws of physic of conservation of momentum, a recoil occurs in the opposite direct.

What device can cause an object to move backward and give a recoil without "ejecting" anything?

Toss back

I would think the person would just want to feel the recoil jerk, then have the return jerk throw the gun back to where it was originally pointing so they can blast zombies faster.

Makes it feel less like clicking buttons and more like shooting.

*laughs* Of COURSE you were in the army... it seems as though you've done/know everything. *shakes head* What I would do for that knowledge...

Well it should be strong enugh if you put a weight on its shaft.

Its mains powerd so it must hit the right time in thr 50Hz. If it hits at zero crosing then it wont do much.This would them make randomly strong recoils.

Pulsing it whith a cap would be prety inpractical.Becuse you need quite big caps for a strong recoil.

Electric Rain said:
*laughs* Of COURSE you were in the army... it seems as though you've done/know everything. *shakes head* What I would do for that knowledge...

NO! :D never been in the army!.

But the army once had a shooting range setup in the back of a large truck, and you could pay £1 and have so many shots - I still have my target somewhere, I kept it because I'm a pretty decent shot!.

USA wise I'm VERY much an amateur, but for the UK I've probably done more shooting than 99% of the population?.

Over the years I've shot numerous air guns, 12 bore and 410 shotguns, the SA80 army rifle, .22 rifle, .38 rifle, .44 magnum rifle, and even a big .45 handgun, ball and powder with percushion caps, not cartridges.

Gun laws in the UK are VERY, VERY strict - due to 'knee jerk' reactions by the government - hand guns now are completely banned, even for gun clubs - hence the use of ball and powder handguns, which escape the ban (they obviously don't consider the loading time makes them very dangerous!). This was also the reason for the .44 magnum rifles, as handguns are banned the clubs had rifles designed to use the .44 magnum ammunition.

So I'm a pretty decent shot with most guns, good with a cross-bow, reasonable with a long bow, I've got experience with rapier and katana swords, plus all the usual martial arts weapons, and (of course) bare hands as a 3rd degree black belt in Ju Jitsu.

Just an average friendly guy! :D

Well, I knew that you were a 3rd degree black belt, but I didn't know you had so much gun experience. What makes you truely awesome - in my eyes - is that you can use a friggin' KATANA too! I didn't know a single person could kick so much @$$... and you're an electronics guru as well? It's just... too much awesomeness... :eek:

Last edited:
Bet he's a stud with ladies too. I mean, who wouldn't be impressed with a black-belt, katana-wielding, sharpshooter of an electrical engineer?

Last edited:
You don't have to be in the military, to fire military weapons. As a kid, I had many operatunities to fire a lot of different weapons at my father's gun club. A few were modified, and most likely not legal back then. I remember that 'match' type rifles were considerably heavier than the regular versions of the same caliber, and way less recoil. A light weight, plastic (Made in China) gun, most likely wouldn't need a huge soleniod to give enough of a kick to be felt. Unless you want something strong enough to knock a small child on his ass. Just enough to feel some motion would probably do.

GUN CONTROL! How's that working out for you Brits? Sorry, couldn't resist. I really can't imagine how anyone could believe banning handguns would really have much impact on reducing crime. Anyone can find an illegal weapon if they look hard enough. You can buy the tools and materials to make your own at home. Muzzleloaders can kill just as good, one shot not good enough, carry several, or get one with several barrels. I've shot a 6-shooter, that was a muzzle loader, just had to replace the cap each shot. You don't even need a gun to rob or kill.

An honest citizen with a gun, at least has some chance. Although, admittedly they seldom have the chance to pick up the gun, and the felon usually walks off with it (next victim).

Basically, I would think encouraging the people to arm themselves, and keep it visiable, would be a greater deterent. How many people would risk getting shot over a purse or wallet, which might be empty anyway. The victim would even have to be the one with the gun, anyone nearby. Anybody using a weapon in a crime should be a fair target (save money on a trial).

Anything can be used as a weapon. I think my chances of surviving a bullet would be better than getting my head busted open with a baseball bat....

HarveyH42 said:
GUN CONTROL! How's that working out for you Brits? Sorry, couldn't resist. I really can't imagine how anyone could believe banning handguns would really have much impact on reducing crime. Anyone can find an illegal weapon if they look hard enough. You can buy the tools and materials to make your own at home. Muzzleloaders can kill just as good, one shot not good enough, carry several, or get one with several barrels. I've shot a 6-shooter, that was a muzzle loader, just had to replace the cap each shot. You don't even need a gun to rob or kill.

An honest citizen with a gun, at least has some chance. Although, admittedly they seldom have the chance to pick up the gun, and the felon usually walks off with it (next victim).

Basically, I would think encouraging the people to arm themselves, and keep it visiable, would be a greater deterent. How many people would risk getting shot over a purse or wallet, which might be empty anyway. The victim would even have to be the one with the gun, anyone nearby. Anybody using a weapon in a crime should be a fair target (save money on a trial).

Anything can be used as a weapon. I think my chances of surviving a bullet would be better than getting my head busted open with a baseball bat....

Isn't the point to make it so you have to look harder to find an illegal weapon? There's also a lot less risk robbing some place with a gun than with a baseball bat. Remember, you COULD rob someone's house if you really wanted to. Does that mean that no one should have locks on their doors? And it's a lot easier robbing a house using some tools than others.

THe bullet analogy is also a bit unfair too I think because obviously if someone goes at you with a baseball bat it's meant for you, but imagine the same thing with a gun (there won't just be one bullet). Sure it won't stop the hardcore criminals that go out of their way to buy a gun, but what about the other handgun comitted by people who won't go out of their way to illegally get a gun (but have one since it's not illegal).

Maybe ban bullets? lol that reminds me of that Chris Rock skit Guns For Knives and making bullets cost $5000.

Also, I think I heard somewhere Bobbies don't carry guns...gun ban would probably help. Not sure if it's true or not though.

Last edited:
Guns aren't even involved in half the crimes I see on the news. Our war in Iraq doesn't seem to be a bullet war, and dozen of people die daily because of violence. Just because the goverment declares a ban on something, doesn't make the problem magically disappear, usually makes things worse. Basically, a $300 handgun here in the USA, would probably sell easy over $1000 in England. They just created a new market for criminals, unless the penalty for having a gun is death...

Most of the gunshot victims around here were single bullets, though they never say if the shooter was a bad shot and had emptied the clip... One shot draws attention, unless the dude really wants you dead, probably will just leave you crying and bleeding. Besides, people are more likely to help a wounded man, then to chase an armed one...

Sorry, lets get back on topic...
Anyway, I'm guessing this plastic gun is pretty much the same dimensions of the real deal, so not likely a lot of room inside for batteries. I was thinking if you could move the weight of the batteries on a track or rail, with a solenoid, you might get enough of a shift in weight. About the best you can hope for in such a small space.

Oh, when I was young, my father bought an old rifle, civil war era, 45-90. It had a metal butt plate, weighed a ton, and no matter how careful, would usually bruise the shoulder. Definately the worst recoil of anything I ever shot. The shells are about 3 inches long, 45 caliber.

dknguyen said:
Bet he's a stud with ladies too. I mean, who wouldn't be impressed with a black-belt, katana-wielding, sharpshooter of an electrical engineer?

Lmao! No kidding! It's crazy I tell you. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back