Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recharging Sealed Lead Acid batteries - frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag

My electric bicycle has three 12v sealed lead acid batteries powering its 200w motor. The bike weighs a ton for this reason but I don't need to pedal, I just use the throttle and I can go pretty fast, even uphill. Apparently it can do 15 mph without pedalling.

The batteries apparently last 100-200 recharge cycles before needing replacement.
I am keen to make each battery set last as long as possible.

Should I wait till the charge is almost empty before recharging, or fully recharge regularly after even the shortest outing, or does it not matter?

Attachments

• meerkat.jpg
    meerkat.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 163
Keep the batteries as topped up as you can and never allow the voltage per battery to exceed 13.8V or drop below 10.5V.

Deep discharging generally reduces the life of lead acid batteries so charge after every use.

Keeping the batterys continually on a float trickle-charge is the best way to maintain them between uses.

Actually, float charging a sealed (or other standby) lead/acid cell battery may not be optimum for extended life compared to recharging & then rest, then recharge again before self discharge is significant.
Articles that I have read claim positive plate degredation due to constant applied float voltage.
Experience of in service battery powered equipment (that I have manufactured & serviced over the past 12 years) indicates strongly that float charging the VRLA or sealed lead/acid cell battery has shorter life than those that are recharged & then put on the shelf for a few months.
This would not apply to the same extent to car batteries that can spend a lot of time at high float voltage if driven a lot, but on average in use car batteries have quite a large rest time. ( for me 30min/day charged 1410min rest Batt date: 06.2004)

Some UPS manufacturers use ABM - Advanced Battery Management charging as opposed to float charging their battery packs.

I agree with the others, charge after each use to the battery's rated maximum voltage, this prevents sulphate build-up on the plates increasing the life of the batteries. Also open circuit after full charge is fine for extended periods of time (although not for years!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back