Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recharging lithium ion battery from window vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazlin

I've recently rewired a pifco window vac by bypassing the control circuit, so it's battery to switch to motor and return to battery, you have to hold the switch down, but it works fine. The problem I'm faced with is how to charge the battery safely, the unit comes with a transformer for charging, would it be suitable to wire up the battery for direct charging? Have included parameter details below,

Charger- input, 100-240V - 50/60Hz
0.2A max
Output, 5.0V - 800mA

Battery - lithium ion battery, 3.6V
1500mAh

There is also some other text on the battery, EAST and 1865 OS.

Appreciate any help and advice.

I've no idea what your abbreviation vac stands for but a lithium ion battery needs a specialized charging circuit. Are you saying the existing charging circuit has failed or are you changing the battery?

Mike.

I've no idea what your abbreviation vac stands for
Vacuum.

I think the OP is referring to a vacuum cleaner for removing water from window glass.
A bit like this:

JimB

I'm sorry I didn't fully clarify, but yes I do mean a window vacume.

Are you saying the existing charging circuit has failed or are you changing the battery?

Yes Mike the circuit in the unit has failed, which probably had an integrated charging circuit. The battery is fine and still has a charge and still takes a charge. Please let me know if you require any further information.

You _must_ use a proper charge controller with any lithium cell or battery.

Connecting an uncontrolled supply to one can allow it to over-charge, which will make it overheat & swell or burst, possibly catching fire in the process. Also the damage can have a somewhat delayed action effect..

A high quality lithium cell or battery, fully charged, has about the same energy density as half its weight in TNT; they should always be treated with due care, otherwise the results can be catastrophic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back