Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rechargeable Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJammin

I recently purchased a lead acid sealed battery for a robotics project I'm working on. The battery says that it is rechargeable but I'm at a loss for how to recharge it. Do I just apply a DC voltage to it? I've enclosed a picture of it; in addition, the battery is a "haze-hzs 12V".

MrJammin said:
I recently purchased a lead acid sealed battery for a robotics project I'm working on. The battery says that it is rechargeable but I'm at a loss for how to recharge it. Do I just apply a DC voltage to it? I've enclosed a picture of it; in addition, the battery is a "haze-hzs 12V".
You need a charger- applying a blind voltage to a battery will eventually cause something to be destroyed (either the battery or thing connected to the battery, either instantly or overtime).

Lead-Acid chargers are pretty cheap.

A "constant voltage charger " is the most common type charger used for lead acid batteries.

Usually 2.4-2.45 volts( around 14.5 volts for a 12 volt battery)@ 20-25degrees C.

You want the voltage high enough to fully charge the battery, but not so high that you boil the battery.

Constant voltage chargers will supply as much current as the battery demands up to the limit of the charger.

sam

MrJammin said:
hi,
A sealed lead acid [SLA] battery should be charged with a constant voltage.
For a slow constant [trickle] charge the voltage should be 13.8V or for a fast cyclic charge 14.00V.

The word sealed means the battery is not able to vent any gases produced due to over voltage charging, if over charged, the battery could blow the safety gas vents.

For robotics, I expect you want a fast charge, use no more than 14.00V and remove the battery from the charger when fully charged.
Dont let the battery discharge to less than 10.8V.

The two methods of charging a SLA (sealed lead-acid) battery with the constant voltage are:
The standby and the cyclic.
In the standby the recommended voltage for a 12V battery is 13.5 to 13.8 volts. No current limit is required unless the battery has a small AH(amp/hour) capacity like less than 4AH. With this type of charging the charger can be left connected all the time and the battery will not overcharge.
In the cyclic the recommended voltage for a 12V battery is 14.4 to 14.7 volts. When the charge current drops to .01C (C=AH capacity) the charger should be removed to the charge voltage reduced to the standby value. For example if it is a 7AH battery when the current drops to .07A (70 ma) the charger should be removed or the charge voltage reduced as stated earlier.
These voltage are at 25 degree C or 77 degrees F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back