Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rechargeable Battery Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am accumulating a fairly large stack of rechargeable batteries from battery packs where one or more cells have died. They include LiIon, NIMH, but mostly NiCad. Until know I have been putting in all new cells when I rebuild a pack. I was thinking that I would like to break the packs apart and test each cell to determine its capacity. Then knowing that, rebuild the packs with similar capacity cells.

I have some general ideas on what I would do for a circuit. Something along the lines of a fixed load (high wattage resistor) connected to a high impedence input voltage comparator, that allows a timer to run until the threshold is breached (test battery voltage drops below x Volts).

Should I run the timer based on current or voltage output? What threshold for current or voltage would you recommend? What load would you place on a single cell to perform the test? Or is there a better methodology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back