Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rechargeable 3.7V 500mAh Li-Ion Coin Cell discharge question

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthRT

Hey all, i was wondering if anyone knew the math to determine how long it would take for the battery to be discharged to 0%. Heres the stats:

500mAH running a 13.5mA chip.

How long would it take?

David

Hum, you sure about that, dmg? I was thinking it was much higher than that?

I tried using this calculator but i wasn't sure if i was inputing the correct values:

Peukert Number Battery Life Calculator

Rated Battery Capacity: 500Ah
Discharge Rate: 3.6v
Peukert's Number: 1.1

and it says that the Full Discharge Time: 122.190 hours?

David

That's because your battery is rated at 500mAh and not 500Ah. For the purposes of that calculator your battery capacity is 0.5 Ah. Discharge rate is 0.0135 Ah. This gives you a safe 80% discharge time of 43.784 hours.

That's because your battery is rated at 500mAh and not 500Ah. For the purposes of that calculator your battery capacity is 0.5 Ah. Discharge rate is 0.0135 Ah. This gives you a safe 80% discharge time of 43.784 hours.
Don't understand how that calculator gives 43 hours when discharging it to 0% takes 37 hours.

A Lithium rechargeable battery cell must NEVER be discharged lower than 3.0V or it is ruined and might catch on fire.
Lithium cells in products have an attached circuit that disconnects the load when the discharging voltage drops to 3.0V.

A Lithium rechargeable battery is 4.2V (which must be regulated by its charger) when fully charged then the voltage slowly drops to 3.0V as it discharges. Many loads are resistive and drop their current as the voltage drops (a light dims or a motor slows down).

My electric RC model airplanes have a circuit that pulses then shuts off the motor when the voltage reaches only 3.0V. Sometimes the airplane is flying slowly at a low current and I don't notice or hear the motor pulsing then the battery is destroyed.

Look at Lithium Batteries in Google.

is it 500mAH/13.5mA=37.04H?

I wanted to delete it yesterday,but i didn't know how to do.
i'm sorry for my rush...
Yes, Li-Ion battery discharges till 2.75v(someone say 2.5v) and charges up to 4.2+/-0.02V. i didn't consider of it
In battery pack there's protect circuit.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your help. 43 hours isn't all that bad really. I was hoping for more but maybe having it off every 30 seconds will prolong that time a little more instead of being on 24/7.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back