Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rebuilding battery pack for game console need suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilykat

I picked up an old battery pack for PSOne, I intended to rebuild it for playing classic RPG games, they are over 10 years old.

The one I have is quite heavy as it uses lead battery. If I plugged the charger in, the LED lights up FULL right away and if I unplugged it, the LOW LED lights up then fades away in a second, probably just getting power off the 100uF capacitor on the front PCB panel. The battery itself doesn't read anything on the volt meter.

**broken link removed**

I have checked both of the PCB, on the rear PCB there are 3 branches from the + post of power-in jack. It first goes through a large diode 1N58 (prevents incorrect polarity from frying components or battery). One branches right away to the circuit on the front that has dual op amp chip, couple transistors, and is used for LOW and FULL indicator. I can probably ignore this part as there's nothing else with regard to regulating battery recharge rate. Second branch goes to the front panel as well, with a switch and POWER LED, then goes to the back for hookup to PSOne system.

The main line (on the rear PCB board with both power plugs) goes through LP60 resettable fuse (25A 60V) to the + post of the battery. The - post are connected to common ground where the - post of the power-in jack and power-out for PSOne are also connected. The fuse seems to be fine and not permanently blown or something but I am not sure, would ohm meter show 0 ohms on a good resettable fuse? The fuse resembles an orange glazed ceramic disc capacitor about the size of USA quarter.

As far as I can tell, the battery is irreversibly dead and needs to be replaced. Can it be replaced with something a little lighter??? (may laptop battery is half the weight but double the volts and current) If the battery can be substituted, would I need to make any addition with regard to regulating the recharging circuit or is the resettable fuse be fine. I would think it's a bit more complicated than straight connection from power source for anything like li-ion.

I might end up using something like 9.6v li-ion battery, there's some that are small enough to fit in the space where the lead battery currently sits, and there are many that does over 10AH.

TIA for any suggestion.

PS had the previous owner not let the battery run down, would the lead battery still hold near full charge? I do know that lead battery can't be allowed to run down as it permanently ruins the electrodes inside over time.

Here https://www.batteryspace.com/ is a company that specializes in all sorts of packs and charging systems. Read their stuff CAREFULLY. Battery pack will have to have a protection module as part of the pack and a specialized charger.

Your SLA battery should still be available.

Your "Fuse" is a PTC thermister. They usually reset on their own. A low resistance would be correct. Usually they detect battery overheating.

PS:
or reference, you can "Go Advanced" and add attachments directly.

IMG tags can make your link visible like this

**broken link removed**

Thanks for the link, I'll check into it. I made the image link rather than displayed with img tag because it's rather large and some forum has rule for maximum image size that can be displayed. I didn't know what the rule was on this forum so I left it a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back