Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rear view back-up camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I have recently acquired a small, used skid steer. It is quite useful around the "farm." Problem is that I am too old to turn in the seat to see what's behind it. Apparently, I am not the only one in that predicament. If you look at used skid steers, you will notice that many of them have the grill in the back damaged. Here's a picture of the way mine came:
IMG_0787.jpg
One option is a bubble mirror. Another option is a rear-view video camera.

Here is the sort of thing that is available for rear-view cameras:
**broken link removed**

I have no connection with that vendor, and in fact, there are many cheaper products on the market that look identical and have similar specifications.

I am leaning toward the following:
1) 420 TV lines resolution
2) 150° or 170° camera viewing angle -- i.e., not the more common 120° angle
3) A relatively small viewing monitor (e.g., 4 to 5", not 7"), so I don't bang it getting in and out
4) Wired, not wireless connection
4) Mounting high up in the light bar and pointed down. I realize the bar across the boom may restrict vision in some positions, but most of my backing up is with the boom low.

I am looking for comments from others who have considered or used aftermarket back-up cameras.

Regards, John

We had one on a van we used to have at work, it was wireless though - the camera simply connected to the reversing lights and the monitor 'burst in to life' when you selected reverse.

It would have been fine - but the bosses son fitted it :D - and rather than screwing it down he sawed the mounting off and glued it in place :p

Result, it fell off on a daily basis :D

Interestingly I borrowed the van once to move some furniture, and driving it back to work it picked up a wireless security camera as I drove past a local factory!.

But it should be fine for you, I'd happily use one (fitted properly!).

If you've ever driven a Lexus, they tend to have them factory fitted - and even draw lines on the screen based on where your steering position will be taking you. Others do similar, but the Lexus is the nicest I've seen.

My comments are based on the camera which is fitted as standard in my 4x4 (SUV).

I would put the camera right at the back, between the O and L in Holland.
This will give good visibility right at the back, allowing you visibility of the last inch before hitting something.
The camera will be easily accessible, it will get dirty and need cleaning sooner or later.
Much easier to wipe while walking past the back of the loader than reaching up to the light bar.

JimB

I use this on my Panel van as its hard to see out the back, & also for reversing onto trailers. Camera is an Ebay $12 free freight. The screen in the pic is a 7inch screen, but have used 4.5inch screens on other vehicles & they were $35 freight free on Ebay. The lines aren't on the screen just in the picture from my camera.
REV CAMERA.JPG
SCREEN.2.JPG

Thanks fellas for the replies.
Nigel: I can assure you I won't be using glue for the monitor. :D Skid steers are a rough ride. There are actually some screw mounts on the operator's cage for an accessory that I don't have. I may end up using them. Some of the aftermarket units provide lines to indicate distance. On looking at debe's post, I just may get that option. It can always be turned off. That is the reason I mentioned capturing the rear wheels of the skid steer. My monocular depth perception is not good.
JimB: The mounting location you suggest is good advice, particularly after looking at debe's picture. I had considered a round camera with tapered rings to adjust angle. Now, I think I will get a camera with a bracket mount. That can be mounted easily to the rear radiator door basically by using U-bolts and without drilling any holes.
debe: Thanks for posting an actual picture. Clearly, I will need some reference for distance. I also need to re-evaluate whether a 7" screen will fit. The factory units at my local implement dealer all have the larger screen. Of course, the price is about three to five times as much as for non-branded units. I have a spare headliner for the machine. One option is to mount a larger screen up there.

Regards, John

If you want to know the distance accurately, I also have one of these fited to the panel van. Less than $20 freight free Ebay. It comes with 4 sensors but im only using 2 on the rear. They are quite accurate. I use both of these units as the van is very hard to judge when parking in a tight spot (I haven't hit anything since fiting them)
REV SENSOR.1.jpg

Thanks. I not worried as much about walls as backing into something like a bale spear:
upload_2014-7-28_11-25-20.png

Ouch. For that, I trust my vision. :D

John

For my camera: I used a 'board camera'.
For the display I used a portable DVD player that has a video in. Also used a hand held LCD TV.

The custom auto install stores sell the review mirror that has a small monitor built into the glass mirror w/ outboard camera. This gives you a mirror plus a monitor. Mitsubishi has this in a few models of their cars. It's nice but it can get confusing sometimes from the distraction of two scenes, one small the other larger.

I have been experimenting with different optical mirrors. I tried a bubble mirror (i.e., wide-field) and did not like it for distance perception. Right now, I am using a simple 4" x 5" flat mirror mounted just below the instrument panel, which is in the roof ahead of the operator. It provides decent distance perception, but of course needs to be avoided when entering the cage.

If that works out, then I will probably go with a narrower field (120°) camera than originally considered and mount the screen in the headliner flat with the top of the operator station.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back