Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Real Time Clock on LPT

Status
Not open for further replies.

l30

Hello, first of all, sorry for my bad english, I'm Brazilian.
After pass almost 50hours on the internet (mainly google) trying to find something to solve my problem, I've found this forum. I'm Delphi programmer and have to build a device to GET the time of PC1 via RS232/LPT/USB and later use that device to SET the time of PC2.

I've until 25/05 to do that. I' will tell you what I see when I look to my right side: A cup of coffe (empty). Some stains of coffe. Lots of paper with some strange eletronic diagrams. A Dallas DS1307 RTC. **broken link removed**
OK. It looks good. Searching on google, everyone says that it is possible to interface I²C and LPT directly. Some even show how to do, but the softwares don't work (to get thing worst, i'm using WinXP) . Others promess that the software works but don't show me HOW to connect things. I'm tired and disappointed. Please, i've seen that here there are many people who really knows what are saying. I don't want to buy a "easy solution". If it is easy I want to make myself. Or, well, maybe i'm to stupid to don't understand what i've found. If someone here have the pacience to explain to a stupid how to connect I²C to LPT or RS232 (a way that works) I'll be very happy.

what matters:
I prefer LPT because as far as i've seen, i'll can get the 5V to activate the DS1307 from that port. Remember, it will have to be a portable dispositive, powered by a litium battery, and when connect to the PC, powered by the port itself...

thanks, i hpe someone can help...

The interface for an I2C device directly to a parallel printer port uses a programming technique referred to as "bit banging". You indicated you have found some information on how to get the physical connections hooked up, but was having trouble with the software running in Windows XP. It is possible to use the program examples you found as a starting point, but you will need to load a freeware software package called "Inpout32" to allow your test program direct access to the printer port hardware addresses. Here is a site where you can download it.

**broken link removed**

Dialtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back