Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Real problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I don't know this is because the new owners are leathering the adverts, but The page loading is excruciatingly slow...

It is taking forever to load.... I have a 50meg connection and its like I'm on dial up!!!

This is the only site doing this....

Also... We are getting loads of duplicate threads... I expect this is because of this latency I'm describing.... Its doing my nut in deleting double posts...

I don't know this is because the new owners are leathering the adverts, but The page loading is excruciatingly slow...

It is taking forever to load.... I have a 50meg connection and its like I'm on dial up!!!

This is the only site doing this....

Also... We are getting loads of duplicate threads... I expect this is because of this latency I'm describing.... Its doing my nut in deleting double posts...

Yes, it's been excruciatingly slow since the change over.

Same here - slow page loads, I remember a quote from yesterday taking ages too and mark forums read took around 20 seconds.

I've also lost a third of my already small (I'm on a small laptop) screen area.

Hi Ian

Huge gap (blank space) on the right on everything except the main page....
I am using Firefox with Ad Block Plus....no ads but..a blank space where the Ads should be..

Nothing really solved. And the site is sloooow.

Regards,
tvtech

And I know Eric is here too as at 14H05 SA time...sussing things out...

I am sure this Giant of knowledge misses ETO...badly.
We miss you too Eric. ETO was your home. And you know you belong here. Comfortable home.

No need to Moderate...just be your Genius self without the stress...and be truly appreciated by all and sundry that visit here...

And I know you will read this.

Regards,
tvtech

Several times yesterday and again today I've waited ages for pages to load, while the browser is jumping from one ad-site to another. Yesterday I gave up altogether and visited other technical sites instead. These unacceptable delays, plus the page shrinkage, are making me think of transferring my allegiance elsewhere :banghead:

Yesterday I started to see it "compressed" in two PCs, both with WinXP and Opera.

Changed to "Full Width" and still the same.

I do not suffer of slow posting.

I use Add Block Plus on, all the time. Is it maybe related with the above?

Several times yesterday and again today I've waited ages for pages to load, while the browser is jumping from one ad-site to another. Yesterday I gave up altogether and visited other technical sites instead. These unacceptable delays, plus the page shrinkage, are making me think of transferring my allegiance elsewhere :banghead:

Hi Alec

Therein lies the problem....I have often wondered why someone like you (worth Gold to any Forum)..decided to stick and stay with ETO.. You are probably telling as it is....you share all the knowledge you have gladly.....and freely....PROVIDED THE FORUM DOES NOT IRRITATE YOU..

In other words...you hate Advertising intruding and so on....Maybe I am a little bit correct...

I believe I hit it spot on.

Agree ?

tvtech

So much more than that that which meets the eye...

SteveB is here too....and devotes lot's of his time here...Good Guy that I nothing but respect for. Flat out.

So much good. So many good people. Before AD's and all....I am old school...and I plan on staying that way...

ETO was the best of the best without AD's.......we can surely stay that way.....

If not....I think a good few Members here would totally agree with me that we need it to happen again..

AD free site. Special place that has a gathering of good people...talk electronics...smile, joke and get stuff done...accurate advise and all that is good....

Like ETO was...

Just tvtech wondering about the future.

And of course...
I love you all. Every one of you. :wideyed:

So much more than that that which meets the eye...

SteveB is here too....and devotes lot's of his time here...Good Guy that I nothing but respect for. Flat out.

So much good. So many good people. Before AD's and all....I am old school...and I plan on staying that way...

ETO was the best of the best without AD's.......we can surely stay that way.....

If not....I think a good few Members here would totally agree with me that we need it to happen again..

AD free site. Special place that has a gathering of good people...talk electronics...smile, joke and get stuff done...accurate advise and all that is good....

Like ETO was...

Just tvtech wondering about the future.

And of course...
I love you all. Every one of you. :wideyed:

Personally I agree, it would be nice if members did not have to see the ads. Chances are if they are members here, then they already know about the stores being advertised and could already be patrons. Showing ads to guests would be understandable though.

Anyway, tvtech, try not to knock the new ownership. The switch-over is still in its beginning stages, so try to give them a chance. You never know, they may bring new members here!

I am hoping some of the new owners post here so that we can all really meet them.

Anyway, just try to keep an open mind ;)

Regards,
Matt

Well, I accept that some advertising is necessary to cover site-hosting, but it should not be excessive or too intrusive or people will simply go elsewhere. IMO ads could be placed better (in-line rather than in-margin), so that a 'full width' display means 'full width of textual matter in posts'. As others have noted, trying to view this site on a small screen has been made more difficult by shrinking the text line-width. That is going to deter many would-be viewers, considering the trend towards smart-phones and tablets. So it may well prove counter-productive as far as the advertisers are concerned.

Well, I accept that some advertising is necessary to cover site-hosting, but it should not be excessive or too intrusive or people will simply go elsewhere. IMO ads could be placed better (in-line rather than in-margin), so that a 'full width' display means 'full width of textual matter in posts'. As others have noted, trying to view this site on a small screen has been made more difficult by shrinking the text line-width. That is going to deter many would-be viewers, considering the trend towards smart-phones and tablets. So it may well prove counter-productive as far as the advertisers are concerned.

I agree, having a top banner of ads like we used to have would be good, I think. Maybe a banner at the top and, if necessary, another one at the bottom. But this 1/4 page gap on the right is a tad annoying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back