Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading/outputting voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

magna

Hello

I'm new to this whole "PIC" world although have a fairly good understanding of programming (vb/etc).

I need to create a device that will read voltage from a signal, and possibly output a voltage aswell.

What would be the best PIC to use for this scenario?

Does anyone have any URLs with examples that would do the above, or close to it for reference?

Thank you!

John Sorensen said:
Why do you assume it has to be a pic?

j.
What else could I use for this? I need to do a lot of programming logic with the voltages that are being read.

Thanks

Exactly.....
I have used the MC145041 from TI https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/03/tlc542.pdf
11 ch, on chip clock, serial interface no external part req, set it up in 5 min, using VB4 and inpout32.dll the software was done in 45 min. "My first SPI code" :roll:
PIC is very useful in 1000's of applications but many times just complicating the project...
There is many I2C or SPI AD/DA converters available, even a 8bit parallel AD can be simply connected to your PC.
:idea:

Steve

So I can program the TI chip just like a PIC chip then? Do you have any links for the software used, or example code for this chip?

PIC is a brand name for a microcontroller. There are a lot of other brands of microcontrollers. I think thats what John is talking about.

If you're already familiar with VB programming, microcontrollers should be easy. Just take a little time to learn C.

I'd recommend buying a development kit that includes a C compiler. A lot of people try to build their first setup which, for a beginner, is a lot to take on and it really doesn't save much money. Zilog has a kit that I've heard is quite good for their Z8encore. The kit is ~40$. Texas Instruments has a new line of microcontrollers MSP430 that sound neat. They also have a cheap dev. kit. If you can spend a little more Silicon Labs has a great line of super fast 8051's with great dev kits. These controllers have A to D (voltage input) and D to A (voltage output) which isn't very common.

Hope this gets you started
Brent

The TI chip MC145041 isn't a microcontroller. It only lets you read Voltages.

As to sample code thats another reason to get a kit. They will include samples that are ready to run with no modification.

Brent

The 145041 is only an example.

I need to do a lot of programming logic with the voltages that are being read.

If you planning to do some serious calculation according to the input voltage, VB/or C on a PC will do 1000's times better the PIC."Unless you are pro in PIC programing, or using some else code"
There are many high res DAC/ADC, most PIC have 8 or max 10 bit, and no DAC only PWM!
You need 3-4 line for I2C or serial ADC and 3-4 for I2C or Serial DAC both can have 1-2-3....16 input/output.
Your PC parallel port have enough IO lines to handle this job.

:idea:

Steve

magna said:
Hello

I'm new to this whole "PIC" world although have a fairly good understanding of programming (vb/etc).

I need to create a device that will read voltage from a signal, and possibly output a voltage aswell.

You requirements are too vague, you need to give much more detail about exactly what you want to do.

I see there's been a lot of 'anti-PIC' responses :lol: so I'd better do a 'pro-PIC' reply!.

Firstly, as already mentioned, a PIC is only one of many micro-controllers, but their cheap price and ease of programming has made them one of the most popular.

Because of the cheap cost, they are quite viable to use to replace one or more conventional chips - depending on what you are doing one cheap PIC can replace dozens of normal chips, just for the cost of a little time writing the software. There are many projects which would be totally impractical to build conventionally, that are trivial to do with a single PIC. On the other hand, you can use a PIC to provide a superior performance, for an example, replacing a 555 timer circuit with an 8 pin PIC circuit will greatly increase it's accuracy and versatility - try doing a 555 timer delay circuit with a one year period! - an 8 pin PIC could do that easily, with no extra components.

In some ways it's too easy to get 'carried away', but it's often worth considering a PIC (or other micro-controller) to either simplify or enhance a design - but never forget the conventional methods as well.

There are certainly circumstances where the support components required for a PIC design exceed those required for a conventional solution, obviously in that case a PIC design wouldn't be a good idea.

"'anti-PIC' responses"? Nah :D

I just wanted to point out that there are other micros. AVR is my choice-- you can get a long way for less than $10US if you're handy with a soldering iron (to build your own programmer), and a "evaluation" version of a C compiler is free. FWIW.

BTW, anyone want to buy a Rabbit?

j.

magna said:
Hello

Does anyone have any URLs with examples that would do the above, or close to it for reference?

Thank you!

IF VB is the only programming language you know, then you will need quite some time to handle PIC. You should at least have knowledge of C.

You should understand the operation of microcontroller before start writing code for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back