Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading a USB mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

A current project I have running on a low end PIC reads the quadrature outputs of the sensor chip of an older PS2 optical mouse. This is for X-Y position sensing. Since these PS2 mice are getting hard to find, I'd like to switch to a USB mouse IC. But they don't have quadrature output signals. So I would have to work with the USB interface. Do any of the Arduino controllers have the capability of reading a USB mouse?

You'll need a USB host. Some of the pic chips can act as a host (OTG) but I wouldn't like to try to write that code.

Mike.
Edit, seems to be a few examples available.

Last edited:
Microchip has a few PIC's that will support mice. Have you looked through their product line?

There are several manufacturers that make Arduino shields that will give you USB host capability. A quick search shows that Arduino, Sparkfun, DFRobot and Adafruit all have USB Host shields.

Thanks. The PS2-USB adapter is probably the easiest way to go. It's too bad that the newer mouse chips don't have the direct quadrature outputs that old ones had. That was the easiest interface of all.

Maybe I should have asked if anyone is aware of a chip that performs a similar function to the mouse sensor chips, but with quadrature outputs. I don't really nest both X and Y outputs. Single axis would be fine.

Thanks. The PS2-USB adapter is probably the easiest way to go. It's too bad that the newer mouse chips don't have the direct quadrature outputs that old ones had. That was the easiest interface of all.

Maybe I should have asked if anyone is aware of a chip that performs a similar function to the mouse sensor chips, but with quadrature outputs. I don't really nest both X and Y outputs. Single axis would be fine.

Historically there was a VERY old Microchip application note, based on their first device to include USB (it was an OTP device), and the application was how to build a USB mouse using said PIC - I'm not sure if it's still available or not?.

However, if you google 'microchip usb mouse application' it provides a number of hits, there might be something among those you can use?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back