Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading a Disk On Chip (DOC) memory module

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdanh2002

Hi,

I need to update the operating system on my Relisys RWT200EM thin client (see info at **broken link removed**). The system currently only boots from its 16MB Disk On Chip (DOC) module. The DOC is on a socket and is removable. Is it possible for me to find a device that will mount the DOC as a disk drive accessible from Windows?

My research so far reveals the following:

1. You can use an old ISA network card, enable Boot ROM, insert the DOC to the socket on the network card. The system can boot from the DOC and see it as a disk drive.

My system does not have an ISA slot and I do not have any ISA network card.

2. Build your own ISA card to access the DOC. I found the PCB here **broken link removed** but however no schematics or software is provided.

3. Use the DOC evaluation board (available for ISA and PCI), see https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/10/PCI-G20Eval20Board.pdf and **broken link removed**
However, it seems the the evaluation board is no longer in production (M-Systems was eventually taken over by Sandisk)

4. Use the programmer. A user guide is available here **broken link removed** but it seems the programmer is rather expensive. It is also unknown to me how to create the image to be programmed.

5. There seems to be an SDK of some sort for the M-Systems DiskOnChip 2000 such as M-Systems DiskOnChip 2000 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com but I am unclear what this is for.

Any advice? What I am intending to do is to backup the current Windows CE image on the 16MB DOC module, and try to install FreeDOS/Linux on it if possible.

I am ready to build a simple programmer/reader, be it via parallel port, serial port or USB.

Thanks for any hints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back