Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

read/write external non volatile memory with 8051

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_chiffre

Hi!
I'm making a project that needs to store data in external non volatil memory. This data is loaded through PC and RS 232 interface. The memory size MUST be over 64k, so bank memory must be implemented. The device run on battery. When data is loaded from the PC to the device, the device will not be running. (pretty much like an mp3 player). The microcontroller is one of the 8051 family. I have a couple of question:
1) what kind of memory is best suited for this job? Flash? EEPROM? serial? parallel? I'm not concerned for read/write cycles, because the user will not be writing data to the external memory so frecuently.
2) How do I store(write) the data ? how do I read it? I think that the 8051 must read this data as if it's code memory (in this case, probably the memory must be parallel) . But how I write it? Directly from the PC through the RS 232 interface to the memory? How can i do that?

Thank you very much

Just try using EEPROM in SPI or I2C interface. 24FC256 is larger enough and simple enough. You read and write to the EEPROM using standard I2C and EEPROM protocal. All of which is provided in the EEPROM datasheet. If your microcontroller does not have I2C or SPI modules then you just create your own protocal code which is very simple clock-data serial shifting control.

I would focus on learning about EEPROM first before trying to use it in a project having no knowledge of the memory. What is best suited depend on the job and parts availability. Peruse the datasheets for 25LF or 24F series of serial EEPROM from STmicro, Atmel, Microchip, makes no difference.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/02/doc5088.pdf
https://www.st.com/stonline/products/families/memories/eeprom/index.htm
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back