Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Read USB stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Hi.

Im fairly new to electronics but I have a project coming and one of the major aspects is that I want to be able to plug a USB stick into my project and read a file off this drive. Then I want to compare the contents of this file (it will be a simple hex) with a hex in the register of the pic.

How complicated is this? Is there a specific PIC or module which will make my life a little easier?

Any input you can give will be appreciated,

James

I seen the Vinculum used for USB host thumb drive reading. Also there's a separate chip that allows host operation. Someone here had a good blog on it, but I don't remember the name. Also, I know some of the ARM chips I'm using have limited host ability, but I haven't played with it at all. However you try it, it's complicated and difficult. It would be far simpler to replace the USB drive with a SD Card if you want to just be able to carry around a file system that can be read/written by a computer. SD Cards are not that difficult to read/write to by a microcontroller.

Thank you for the feedback. So I should research USB host controllers for microcontrollers?

I will look into using a SD card, however the whole project is substantially stronger if I were to use a USB stick since the idea is that it is so common. I will continue to look into this and might need to ask some more questions. If anyone does happen to know of any other products I can look into that might help my project I would appreciate it.

James

EDIT: So far I have found this: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. So I should research USB host controllers for microcontrollers?
You can try, but USB Host is not a beginner project. I have no experience with the Vinculum, but my impression is that it would be the easiest, though it's expensive. I'll try to find that blog with the external USB host chip.

EDIT: So far I have found this: **broken link removed**
That's USB slave and doesn't help you at all.

Here it is. It's the MAX3421E and he's put it into an Arduino Shield. Doesn't look like he's done anything with thumb drive access, though.

Circuits@Home

Ive been on the phone to a few companies and the best system I can find (as previously mentioned) is this:

**broken link removed**

Can I get some feedback on this product please? It talks to the pic via UART which seems to simplify the process

microsd card are almost as popular as usb drives, all of cellular, ipod, camera,... uses microsd cards and not usb stick

It's more the fact that people carry USB sticks on them regularly but people don't normally carry microsims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back