Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RE: single or three phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

totl

Now that it's established that I have a 3 phase PM motor, is there a simple, cheap way to boost the output voltage which can possibly be made from spare parts or can be found in existing electronics? I'm trying to stay away from costly curcuits such as boost converters. This project is about frugality as much as it is about energy.

Spin it faster or use a step up transformer.

I forgot to mention this time that the output voltage after rectification will be dc. Is there any advantage to rectifying 3 phase ac as opposed to single phase?

Just transform it before you rectify it.

Thanks. Will a step up transformer adjust with the varying input voltage and does a step up also increase the current or just the voltage?

A conventional step-up transformer will increase the voltage but decrease the current proportionately.

I forgot to mention this time that the output voltage after rectification will be dc. Is there any advantage to rectifying 3 phase ac as opposed to single phase?
A 3-phase full-wave rectifier has much less ripple then a single-phase full-wave rectifier (unfiltered it's a little over 4% versus 100%). That's why automotive alternators are 3-phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back