Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC Helis Gyros and Micro-Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogdens_R

Hi,

I want to ask if anyone here know how the RC Heli's Gyros work? I mean I understand their basic function of sensing rotation and then apply corrective signals to the tail motor but I do not know what sort of signals go into these gyros and what kind of signals the gyros forward to the tail motor?

Say I have a robot that is powered by 2 motors. When I want it to go forward, it may sometimes lean left or right. Rather than hardcoding the PWM signals to compensate for the difference, I can use a gyro that senses this unwanted rotation and then output corrective signals.

Thanks

dogdens_R said:
Hi,

I want to ask if anyone here know how the RC Heli's Gyros work? I mean I understand their basic function of sensing rotation and then apply corrective signals to the tail motor but I do not know what sort of signals go into these gyros and what kind of signals the gyros forward to the tail motor?

Say I have a robot that is powered by 2 motors. When I want it to go forward, it may sometimes lean left or right. Rather than hardcoding the PWM signals to compensate for the difference, I can use a gyro that senses this unwanted rotation and then output corrective signals.

Thanks

Or you could design a tachometer for each motor that has sufficient precision. The two tach signals could be fed to a microcontroller and an adjustment can be made until they are in sync. When they are in sync, the two motors will be rotating at the same rate and you wont wonder left or right. This will also provide straight line driving on uneven surfaces.

They're solid state piezo gyros. The sensors themselves often have slight (or potentially significant) offset errors and digital circuitry is used to calibrate & compensate for it. The sensors themselves are usually not cheap. It is commonly a 0-5v voltage output if I recall correctly.

A tach is a good choice. The real errors come from rough terrain though, where one wheel may travel a longer distance over an obstacle. Then gyros are more appealing. Also magnetic compass sensors are used, which give an absolute heading, which is ultimately what you're looking for.

Oznog said:
They're solid state piezo gyros. The sensors themselves often have slight (or potentially significant) offset errors and digital circuitry is used to calibrate & compensate for it. The sensors themselves are usually not cheap. It is commonly a 0-5v voltage output if I recall correctly.

A tach is a good choice. The real errors come from rough terrain though, where one wheel may travel a longer distance over an obstacle. Then gyros are more appealing. Also magnetic compass sensors are used, which give an absolute heading, which is ultimately what you're looking for.

Magnetic is a good option but IMO, those tend to be expensive (relative to other methods) and the lower cost ones give terrible resolution.

The author didnt indicate he wanted absolute heading, only "wander" avoidance???

for absolute heading, a heading hold gyro can be used i think...

whether or not the motors turn at the same speed is secondary. the ultimate objective is that the thing does not tilt to one side when i command it to go forward. so heli gyros (to dampen yaw) would be the best solution since they are design to solve this problem directly. and they are small and light (4.4g)

problem is i do not know how they work exactly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back