Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC delay trigger for 555

Status
Not open for further replies.

electa176

Hi,
I'm trying to design a delay circuit to trigger a 555.
The effect I want is similar to a switch-on delay circuit which I'd normally do with a RC series and a switch (normally closed) across the capacitor. This gives exactly the output I want:
- when the switch is first opened the capacitor begins to charge until it reaches the threshold voltage and pushes the trigger up/down to the required voltage, but
- if it's closed again before the threshold voltage is reached, it discharges the capacitor and the delay is reset [it's this behaviour that I really need].

The problem is that I need it to work with a normally open push button
- ie closing the switch triggers the 555 after a delay
- if the button is released before the delay time, do nothing, and reset the delay.
It's years since I've done any serious electronics and it's taxing my brain - it's the second part of the requirement that I'm struggling with.

I'm just using the 555 as a Schmitt trigger, btw.

Grateful for any help...

Last edited:
You don't necessarily need a 555.

Here is a suggestion that uses a CMOS Schmitt Trigger. CMOS requires much less current than a 555.

Attachments

• Delay 4.gif
    Delay 4.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 171
You don't necessarily need a 555.

Here is a suggestion that uses a CMOS Schmitt Trigger. CMOS requires much less current than a 555.

Thanks Len - that looks great, and thanks for the tip on using CMOS too. I'm setting it up on the breadboard right now.

I'm just getting back in to electronics again and this stuff is so much fun.

Thanks again.

Thanks Len - that looks great, and thanks for the tip on using CMOS too. I'm setting it up on the breadboard right now.

I'm just getting back in to electronics again and this stuff is so much fun.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. However, and forget to take electrostatic precautions with the CMOS Devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back