Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
Suggest that a sub-forum be generated for the Raspberry Pi under the 'Microcontrollers' main forum.

I know that the Pi is more of a single board computer (SBC) and not strictly a microcontroller, but there are quite a few posts already about the Pi in the 'Microcontrollers' forum and, with the introduction of the Raspberry Pi Zero, the boundary between SBC and microcontroller is being smeared.

Of course, strictly speaking, a microcontroller is just the chip (I think).

Maybe the forum title could be altered to, 'Microcontrollers and SBCs'.

spec

A Raspberry Pi 3 came today.
Replacing a older competing board.
Let us know how you get on with your new Pi Ron.
In general, I would like to see more posts on ETO about SBCs, of all flavors.

spec

Technically the chip on the PI is a microprocessor, though considering it does have IO peripherals perhaps it can be considered a microcontroller....

I wholeheartedly agree though, we should definitely have a sub-forum for the Pi, BeagleBone, etc.

dmiyares , is this something you could add in?

What about "Single Board Computers" with sub-forums as "Linux based - e.g Rasberry PI", "High Level Language OS - e.g. Arduino"
Let Arduino, and Rasberry PI be sub-forums with "Other" as well.

One is effectively a real OS so any embedded Linux question would be OK. The other is where you have to still play OS, but it's non-assembly language.

Ones you still have to categorize is development boards such as ones from Analog Devices, Linear Technology or some of the MSP430 e.g. Launchpad? Classifying is still kinda tough. What about SOC's or FPGA programming?

Keep-It-Simple-Stupid by adding 100 new sub-forums. (joke)

Raspberry Pi has 0,1,2,3 and some (B) versions. (hardware) Then in software there is Linux or Windows (3 only). Then there is Python and C plus some that don't count.

I don't know if this group is into single board computers. I have a huge pile of small computer boards. Most cost more than a Pi-3 board and all cost more than a Pi-0. So I probably will not use the "PIC" much unless I need to be less than 1 inch square.

I have not powered up my Pi-3 yet. I have a STM32L476RGT6 board to get running SOON and here I am typing not soldering.

I know, that's why I pointed it out. Out for discussion. Hopefuly there's a "better" classification than just "SBC computers"?

Hey, I haven't powered up an Arduno Yun yet.

KISS, you can't group an Arduino in with the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, etc. The Arduino is not a SBC. It is simply a microcontroller dev board. If there was an Arduino sub-forum then it should be in the Microcontrollers section (if it's not there already, I can't remember).

KISS, you can't group an Arduino in with the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, etc. .

I thought I grouped them separate. Sorry, you misunderstood. I know hey are "different enough" to not group them together. A Linux-based OS and a "whatever for the Arduino" are two different animals.

I thought I grouped them separate. Sorry, you misunderstood. I know hey are "different enough" to not group them together. A Linux-based OS and a "whatever for the Arduino" are two different animals.

I'm sorry KISS, I must have misunderstood. It sounded like you were trying to put the Arduino in the SBC sub-forum.

My mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back