Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Raspberry Pi printer working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronsimpson

Most Helpful Member
After spending two hours getting a Windows-7 scanner working I thought I would kill the rest of the day and make my little Raspberry Pi 3 talk to a network printer. It took only minutes.
https://www.howtogeek.com/169679/how-to-add-a-printer-to-your-raspberry-pi-or-other-linux-computer/
That link talks about using "CUPS" to print.
I entered the first two commands then realized this was about installing a print server so I stopped.
Next I pointed my browser to: "https://localhost:631" And there was CUPS up and running.
Add printer
enter user name and password.
CUPS found a network printer.
My word processor's print button went from gray to blue and I can print.
Did not reboot or anything like that.

By looking at CUPS I see that I can mark sharing and make a print server with little effort.
----------------------------------------
sudo apt-get install cups
sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin pi
-----------------------------------------

The new Pi3 looks like a great tool, the pi has come a long way and personally i would use the pi3 for serious purposes, the pi2 suffered from reliability with SD cards, i really like the boot from HDD on the pi3. Lack of sleep mode or low power mode still baffles me a bit though, nice to here the print server is pretty straightforward.

PI3 on my list of boards to get, the pi camera is also really good.

i really like the boot from HDD on the pi3
I am using the SD card with out trouble. They get very large now days, and fast.
I think you must run the HDD through a USB port.

I will try video server next. OR I have 32 relays wired in but not turned on. (home automation)
---posted from a Pi---

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from the live CD (runs in RAM) on a real system. I did install CUPS once, Issues without CUPS involve Duplex and Paper size not sticking/.

Printing issues in general arise when printing or printing to PDF the output of certain websites. Annoyances are, I can't look at what's below the print dialog and it doesn;t preview "Print to file". I might use a file name such as 180101_Amazon (Tape, pens)_(X0000)_20.40 For example. Date, who, (what), (How Paid, CC last 4 digits), amount.

I can't easily get the price and if a website messes up when printing, I can't tell.

CUPS adds a lot more features.

I am using the SD card with out trouble. They get very large now days, and fast.
I think you must run the HDD through a USB port.

I will try video server next. OR I have 32 relays wired in but not turned on. (home automation)
---posted from a Pi---
The issue is the cards have a read/write limitation and prove a weak point, on the PI forums there is alot of talk on it. Sooner or later the SD cards fail, some recommend the top quality cards but honestly they dont make a difference. On the PI 2 you just put the boot bit on the SD card and run the main file system from a USB stick. You might be able to boot from a USB stick with the PI3 but i dont know.

I will have a look at that in detail, i know that until now its mot been possible with the pi2.
It is worth upgrading to pi3 for important projects, the extra power etc is a real bonus. The wind turbine clusters i used to look after, they had a low power dedicated linux box inside run headless. They ran at around 120W but TBH the pi is not far off the capability these pro systems have.

Not there yet as the pro linux box has a full on processor, but W for W the pi is starting to challenge the more serious applications. Considering its a SOC it is some achievement for them to have come this far, i tend to use it as a web server and kind of 'end point' where the other system parts dump there information. But i tend to like multi chip solutions with a chip taking care of a certain function or group of functions, your not relying on one system then.

Very cool tech however. I also have the old Olimax webserver board with the pic on it, that was a mare to get a webpage up on it!!

I use a network printer Linux had no problems with it at all I just set the printer up on local network and anything that can get on my wifi can print
the old days are gone. I'm running the latest Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back