Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Raspberry Pi power options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have been working on a project recently which involves the use of a Raspberry PI. If found out there's 3 different ways to power it (USB, power pins and testing points). But given that there's a pair of test points on the back where there's space available (I'm currently using a hat) and I'm trying to save as much space as I can. What might be the best way to power the Pi using a ~5V lipo battery?

You would need a boost regulator module rated at 5V and probably 2 - 3A out, depending which Pi version it is.
The input range should be suitable for the lipo cell range, eg. 4.2 down to 3.3V

A module intended for a DIY high current power bank may be suitable? That should also include the charge circuitry.

Connect to the 5V at the expansion connector or under the USB socket on the Pi where it draws power, wherever is convenient.

I've used a chopped up USB cable to run a Pi in one of my 3D printers, just so it's easy to swap to another PSU if needed for testing or setting up.

Thanks for the advice! I found a technique on YouTube that might work too. It involves soldering a 5v charger & converter onto the test points. The advantage with this build is that you can charge it as you're using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back