Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Raspberry Pi Here to Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

I've been looking into using a Tablet computer as a basis for portable test equipment or whatever else. The smaller tablet prices have come down quite a bit, and they already have a screen (800x600 or better is common now) and USB port, and even Bluetooth.

The one i have now doesnt have Bluetooth so it poses a little problem of how to interface the external electronics (voltmeter, ohm meter, etc.) with the USB port, which doesnt seem easy to do yet.

Hi,

Do you know of any relatively simple way to interface the WiFi of the Android device to a circuit ?

What do you suggest? I am looking for information.
My development boards require a PC to program them. The RasPi needs a TV and a keyboard. Many of the ARM boards can be programmed over the internet. My last ARM project has half of the boards in USA and half in Malaysia. The programmers can program any board at any location.

Hi Ron.
Whoa that is still out of my league. What I know is to only hook 'em monitor and keyboard and mouse to it, but going deeper is gonna take some time. I'll try to learn more about it later.

picbits; What have you done with your pi?

Not a lot yet. Mine arrived just before Christmas so I had just enough time to try a couple of operating systems on it, play some media and get my stepson wanting one.

I want to try them for webcam serving for security systems and also for the heating / environment monitoring for the workshop. I'll probably have a couple used for media centers around the house too.

Not a lot yet. Mine arrived just before Christmas so I had just enough time to try a couple of operating systems on it, play some media and get my stepson wanting one.

I want to try them for webcam serving for security systems and also for the heating / environment monitoring for the workshop. I'll probably have a couple used for media centers around the house too.
I see they have a camera hook up but no camera yet.
Is all the software on the flash card that can be put in a PC?

Last edited:
I see they have a camera hook up but no camera yet.
Is all the software on the flash card that can be put in a PC?
The rPI seems to boot off a Fat partition on the memory card then everything else is allocated as extra storage as a seperate partition.

I created the SD card on a Linux machine so can't really comment how easy it would be on a Windoze machine but from never using a Pi to having it up, running, hooked into the network and streaming video (including making the SD card) was around 15-20 minutes.

The rPI seems to boot off a Fat partition on the memory card then everything else is allocated as extra storage as a seperate partition.

I created the SD card on a Linux machine so can't really comment how easy it would be on a Windoze machine but from never using a Pi to having it up, running, hooked into the network and streaming video (including making the SD card) was around 15-20 minutes.
Thats not bad at all.
Good work!!
And happy New Year:)

I did mine on a Windows machine, and it was simple as well - I just followed the instructions.

However, I did struggle finding an SD card that worked, but the third one I tried works fine.

One 'problem' though, the SD cards won't work in a PC any more, and I had to download a third party program to partition and format them.

However, I did struggle finding an SD card that worked, but the third one I tried works fine.

Unlucky - I found an old 2gb micro SD unbranded one that I used to have in my phone, bunged it into a MicroSd adapter and it worked straight off.

Got a few 4, 8 and 16gb SDHC cards here that I bought to use on the rPi - when the wife goes back to work I'll have to have a play with them ;)

I read some whare only certion cards would work in fack I think thare is a list.
How ever I did not know thay would not work in a PC after being formated for the Pi.
So how would you reprogram them?

I use Ubuntu which seems to cure all Windows problems ;)

I'm not totally anti-windows but Linux has grown on me over the years. The other day, the wife brought back an old photo from my Grandma which needed scanning and enhancing. I plugged my Epson 2500 into my Win7 machine which politely informed me that it couldn't install drivers. I then double checked and it was last supported in Win2k :eek:

Rebooted into Ubuntu, the scanner (and printer) were immediately recognised and within a couple of minutes I'd scanned the photo, enhanced it with GIMP and saved it to my server.

Surprisingly, the machine also handles the Epson 2500 through Linux running Win2k on a virtual machine. I have valid (legal) images of Win2k, WinXp, Windows Vista and Win7 on my Linux machine for testing purposes.

The gap is narrowing .......

I use Ubuntu which seems to cure all Windows problems ;)

I'm not totally anti-windows but Linux has grown on me over the years. The other day, the wife brought back an old photo from my Grandma which needed scanning and enhancing. I plugged my Epson 2500 into my Win7 machine which politely informed me that it couldn't install drivers. I then double checked and it was last supported in Win2k :eek:

Rebooted into Ubuntu, the scanner (and printer) were immediately recognised and within a couple of minutes I'd scanned the photo, enhanced it with GIMP and saved it to my server.

Surprisingly, the machine also handles the Epson 2500 through Linux running Win2k on a virtual machine. I have valid (legal) images of Win2k, WinXp, Windows Vista and Win7 on my Linux machine for testing purposes.

The gap is narrowing .......

I doubt that is the fault of Windows. I had similar problems with an HP ScanJet, the drivers and software (for XP) installed on windows 7 but refused to work. The HP website blatantly stated my scanner was too old to be supported (past XP), and they had the cheek to list new HP scanners which would be a suitable replacement!

Anyway using the windows scanning wizard works, without bothering with the HP software so all is good. HP printers and scanners have been nothing but trouble for me.

I use Ubuntu which seems to cure all Windows problems

I doubt that is the fault of Windows.

In a word, "x64".

Almost everything from the WinXP (32-bit) era won't work in M$ machines equal to or above Vista (x64). This is because 32 bit drivers won't work in 64 bit Windows[SUP][1][/SUP], and giving such hardware x64 support would essentially require rewriting the entire driver from scratch. Most vendors won't do this as it is a huge hassle and they would just be deterring people from buying their newer crap. This problem was not really caused by M$, but they certainly could have tried a little harder to fix it. GNU/Linux manages it for free after all without rewriting a byte of driver code[SUP][2][/SUP].

Obsolete hardware issues aside, I can do more things more easily with any Windows PC than I can with GNU/Linux. Mostly because I don't have to set foot near a CLI if I really don't want to, but it's virtually mandatory with GNU/Linux. It's 2013, the GUI has been the new black for about thousands of [internet] years now.

GUI > CLI, get-over-it.jpg

I almost agree entirely. There are still a few jobs I do in command prompt, but if there was an easy and efficient GUI alternative I would always choose to do my work in the GUI.

I have tried the "Open Source lifestyle" (I installed Linux on a partition) and I usually get fed up with it, buggy software, god awful user interfaces ( interfaces made for the creator) and the lack of support i.e. the "I spent ages figuring this out, so do you!" mentality. It's definitely getting better out there though (had some great help getting HD editing working), but I have experienced such things.

Also I hate to say this, but there is not much good open source userland software ( OpenOffice, Inkscape, Virtual Box, at a push GIMP and perhaps a few more), and a couple of those have been backed by big companies.

I use windows, and pay my dues for software I use. For me, it's more intuitive, a lot less hassle and I get more time to do things away from computer as I spend less time figuring out how to do the job at hand.

Last edited:
I use OpenOffice on Windows and FireFox now that M$ is no including an email program in win 7&8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back