Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Random cabinet lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Building a display cab for LOML and planning on using some LED's for accent lighting.
idea is to use a 4x4 grid of LED's , with 4 LEDs wired in parrell per
each 4 LEDs are connected to a 4017 counter so the LEDs(4 per line) will cycle on and off.
The 4x4 grid has 4 clr leds on each corner and blue leds to complete the grid
4 High powered 140Kmcd clr LEDs and 8-13Kmcd blue LEDs
idea is to create a lighting ripple effect.
perhaps I need to draw out a schematic??

Sounds like you have it solved anyway ;-)

umm, changing accent lightling may prove to be a bit irritating after a while, are you sure you want to go that way, seems a bit cheesy.

cab light schematic

hope this is readable?
plan is to cycle through the 4 seperate set of leds wuith one or more sets on
the and gate needs some redoing but want to turn on 2 sets then 3 sets then 4 sets then all blue etc.

Attachments

• cablight.gif
    cablight.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 272
Question on using the 4029

Have what I hope is a working drawing of planned circuit but am wondering why is pin 2 of the 4029 connected to pin 1?
In my planned circuit I added a fourth transistoir and still connected pin 2 to pin 1.
why ???
orginal circuit bit-tech.net | Rainbow LED
attached my planned circuit

Attachments

• random lights.doc
    68.5 KB · Views: 121
The pin 1 to pin 2 on a CD4029 causes the counter to reset to zero and will mess up your 4th output.

I have mood Lights that have a linear triangle ramp generator (a dual opamp) for each colour. Each frequency is slightly different so millions of colours and millions of brightnesses are produced. The oscillators operate at very low frequencies so that the fading is slow.

well what to do with reset??

if pin 1 goes to pin 2 in orginal schematic what should I connect to reset or ??

The 4029 does not have a reset pin like all other counters have. Instead it has 4 preload pins and the pin 1 load pin. When pin 1 goes high then the counter goes to the loaded setting.

The circuit might be much simpler if a CD4060 oscillator/counter replaces the 555 and the CD4029.

But can I adjust the speed?

looked at data sheet ? ofthe 4060 but saw no speed adjustment except adding a crystal??
may just stick with the 4029 but what to do with pin 1??

The CD4060 uses a classic Cmos oscillator made with 2 resistors and 1 capacitor. Use a pot to replace one of the resistors for a speed control.

Attachments

• CD4060 oscillator.PNG
    CD4060 oscillator.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 421
maybe a different approach?

found this circuit.
maybe easier than using a 4029 or a 4060??
has a couple more caps etc but ??
will simulate in TINA tomorrow as its 11pm+
past my beddy bye

better circuit=simple

after drawing the schmatic using the op amps I see it gets complicated real quick
found the 4510 is same pinout as 4029 but looks easier to use??
I looked at the 4060 but it starts counting small but timing gets longer??

Attachments

• random cab1.doc
    66 KB · Views: 161
The 4060 has a built-in simple oscillator. Its outputs 7, 8, 9 and 10 are in a binary sequence. But it doesn't have an 11th output for a reset.

The CD4516 is a binary counter and the CD4510 is a BCD counter. The Carry-out of the CD4510 is used in your circuit to reset it before it gets to a count of 10, so it operates the same as a binary counter.

count to 9 is fine

I really only need to 4 but 9 is fine.
will just add more randomness to the lights.
all clear-4-140,000mcd leds,
4 clear w/ 13,000mcd blue leds
8 clear,
16 all blue,
16 blue and 8 clear
etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back