Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Random Bulb Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bru

I've been asked by my local model railway club to build a circuit that will light up houses and shops randomly on the new layout currently under construction. My first reaction was to use a tested and working multi-aspect European road traffic light circuit, substituting the coloured LED's for white ones, and slow the sequence down a high value resistor.

Unfortunately, the builder is determined to use 12v grain of wheat bulbs; I don't have any design skills and I tend to build circuits from existing diagrams - but I don't have any circuits that will do this job. The only suggestion I can think of is to wire the bulbs to a series of mult-pole rotary switches and mechanically turn on and change the lighting. This seems a bit ham-fisted, though.

Anybody got any suggestions or links to a circuit?

Thanks. Bru

Last edited:
I've been asked by my local model railway club to build a circuit that will light up houses and shops randomly on the new layout currently under construction. My first reaction was to use a tested and working multi-aspect European road traffic light circuit, substituting the coloured LED's for white ones, and slow the sequence down a high value resistor.

Unfortunately, the builder is determined to use 12v grain of wheat bulbs; I don't have any design skills and I tend to build circuits from existing diagrams - but I don't have any circuits that will do this job. The only suggestion I can think of is to wire the bulbs to a series of mult-pole rotary switches and mechanically turn on and change the lighting. This seems a bit ham-fisted, though.

Anybody got any suggestions or links to a circuit?

Thanks. Bru

hi,:)
Whats the 12V wheat bulb current rating.?

I'm not sure of the current rating of the bulbs available, but they're probably the ones I bought for the club some time ago - almost certainly 65mA or 85mA, but I can buy ones for the project with a known current rating. The building are in the design stage at present, but I gather there will be around 30 of them - obviously not all lit at the same time.

I agree about LED's and - as I said - I already have a schematic for something which would possibly work, but the builder is keen to use bulbs.

Bru

Last edited:
you would be better off with LEDs but for your sequencer, you can use 74HC4017s

Dan

hi Dan,
Looking at the 'wheat' bulbs, they appear to be rated about 60/80mA region.

Ive asked the OP for the actual rating.??

The grain of wheat bulbs color

is perhaps the deciding factor.
they have a yellow hue instead of bright white or pure yellow color of LEDs.
I was thinking perhaps several 4017s with transistors on the outputs.
use an emitter circuit for a fading effect.
will draw up something to start.

I'm thinking of a slow-latched, 30-bit random number generator with lamp drivers. I did see "random" as a requirement.

this circuit needs tweeking

here is a simple solution that should work.
the componet values may need tweeking a bit.
just arrange the diodes in various patterns etc.

Attachments

• Capture3-3-2009-7.51.12 AM.jpg
    Capture3-3-2009-7.51.12 AM.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 152
I'd use a PIC (or even PICAxe) and a handful of PN2222 or a ULN2803 to drive the bulbs. (I don't know how much current the grain of wheat bulbs draw but I assume its very small)

the 2803 would be nice

but then you need to use pnp or inverters.
a pic yes if you have the resources to program them.
I myself want to learn how.
see there is C and assembler to program them
just need to get my hands dirty and find a cheap version of a programmer unit.
can't put out $100+ for one.
much less $65 for programming coarse that I get Emails about.
what to do??
yes I looked over your site, nice but just need to take the plunge.
I need to build a reaction timer for our pinewood drag racing setup.

Thank you for the help, folks. Very much appreciated. I'll get busy with
MrDEB's schematic this weekend and see what I can get working.

slight revisions w/ PS added

I added a regulated PS as well as an unregulated one for the bulbs.
this should work??

Attachments

• Capture3-4-2009-8.27.20 AM.jpg
    Capture3-4-2009-8.27.20 AM.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back