Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Random Blinking LEDs, Control Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintlax

My school play needs a prop made, I have basic circuitry skills, can solder, understand most schematics, etc. There is a part in the play where the actor will open a box and LEDs will begin to blink randomly to make a magic effect. I think I am looking for more of a fade in/out effect than blinking. I also want to have a knob that will control how fast the LEDs will fade. Can someone please help me out with how I would go about doing this. I have a PIC programmer if I need to use a PIC, also willing to purchase an arduino UNO if needed.

Thanks for all help in advance.

Hi. Just a quick thaught throw out in the air:

Use two square wave oscillators. Make one of them voltage controlled (VCO, schmitt trigger oscillator with adjustable trig level for schmitt trigger) and make the output be a function of logic AND for the oscillators output.
Make the voltage that control the VCO coming from a a LED (can be used to measure light).

This way, the random changes of ambient (or spot, depending on the LED's design) light will cause output being random.

There is a lot ow ways to do this. I just had a very simple idea to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back