Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RAM Compatibility? 128MG.. IBM and Compaq Presario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven4176

Hey! Thanks for bothering!

Admitting ignorance, and requesting help despite it. <G> Is a 128M RAM card from an old IBM something I can put in a Compaq Presario which currently claims to have 127M?

Knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Ignorance is only a problem when somone refuses to acknowledge it. LOL

Regarding the memory modules, it all depends on what type they are. there are various kinds (simm, dimm, etc) the best way to find out would be to visually compare the two, or compare the slot to the module. If it looks the same, try it. You're 'NOT LIKELY' to cause any damage. . . If it's not compatible, then it just won't work. just remember the following things

1 you should earth yourself BEFORE handling memory modules (and frequently whilst handling them) as they're ESD sensitive (ideally you should use an earthing wrist strap)

2 DO NOT try and force it, if it looks different, IT WON'T work (check they have the same number of pins)

3 If you're not sure what to do, I recommend going to a computer forum for further advice, or go to your local computer repair shop (though their advice is usually NOT FREE)

4 Compaq computers can be very 'FUSSY' about which memory or other cards will work.

NJ Roadmap said:
fingaz, I just noticed the black lab picture! I love labradors =]

Yeah, he's my (BIG) baby. 18 months old, and daft as a brush. But he's lovable all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back