Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rain detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctgroup

DEAR,
i want to build a rain detector.the circuit should as to drive a motor from the rain detector.If anyone has idea it will be appreciated.

Use a piezoelectric transducer as microphone and a vox circuit to drive a relay for your motor.

Use a piezoelectric transducer as microphone and a vox circuit to drive a relay for your motor.

... he could as well use a newspaper. If it gets wet holding it outside the window it's definitely raining. Then switch on the motor manually. :D

DEAR,
i want to build a rain detector.the circuit should as to drive a motor from the rain detector.If anyone has idea it will be appreciated.

So the rain detector has a motor can you send a picture/sketch what you have in mind I think I would not be the only one who is curious to see what you mean

Robert-Jan

Rain detetector

Hi ctgroup,

the easiest way to make a rain detetector is making it from a small piece of PCB board. Check the screenshot please. The dimensions are 50X50mm with enough traces for a distinct change in resistance.

Connect the sensor to a comparator as shown in the screenshots, too.

The output swings from low to high if there is rain. To make it swing from high to low just connect the OpAmp by changing + and - input pins.

Hans

Attachments

• rainsensor.png
    rainsensor.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 538
  • SCHEMATIC.png
    SCHEMATIC.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 707
  • BOARD.png
    BOARD.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 439
Good plan, only issue I see is if there is a lot of morning dew moisture that could build up and also activate the circuit.

Many, many years ago I use to work for NOAA. We had these rain gauges that work as follows.

There was a small rectangular metal container balanced on a pivot. It was maybe 4 to 5cm long. Kinda like a little metal bucket. In normal situation the rain bucket sat level, but as it would rain, the bucket would fill and pivot. The pivot action would trigger a microswitch. You could use this concept to have the trigger drive a relay. Then again, if morning dew is not an issue, I would say boncuks idea is the way to go :)

One more thing. We sometimes had problems with bird poop triggering the gauge...lol

Last edited:
Then again, if morning dew is not an issue, I would say boncuks idea is the way to go :)

One more thing. We sometimes had problems with bird poop triggering the gauge...lol

I was thinking that both ideas might be susceptible to bird poop. :)

Torben

I was thinking that both ideas might be susceptible to bird poop. :)

Torben

Without Dorthy and the scarecrow, there will always be bird poop :)

Good plan, only issue I see is if there is a lot of morning dew moisture that could build up and also activate the circuit.

Hi Mike,

sorry about that. I forgot about it completely because there is no such thing as morning dew in Thailand. :D

Many, many years ago I use to work for NOAA. We had these rain gauges that work as follows.

There was a small rectangular metal container balanced on a pivot. It was maybe 4 to 5cm long. Kinda like a little metal bucket. In normal situation the rain bucket sat level, but as it would rain, the bucket would fill and pivot. The pivot action would trigger a microswitch. You could use this concept to have the trigger drive a relay. Then again, if morning dew is not an issue, I would say boncuks idea is the way to go :)

You could improve that method by pouring the water into a measuring container. That way you could calculate the amount of precipitation per square meter or square yard. (Use a filter for the bird poops. :D)

You could improve that method by pouring the water into a measuring container. That way you could calculate the amount of precipitation per square meter or square yard. (Use a filter for the bird poops. :D)

It already does. Each time the little bucket tips it trips a switch connected to a counter. The little bucket and the funnel that feeds it are calibrated. Most automated weather stations use these.

Home-Built Electronic Rain Fall Sensor

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ctgroup,

the easiest way to make a rain detetector is making it from a small piece of PCB board. Check the screenshot please. The dimensions are 50X50mm with enough traces for a distinct change in resistance.

Connect the sensor to a comparator as shown in the screenshots, too.

The output swings from low to high if there is rain. To make it swing from high to low just connect the OpAmp by changing + and - input pins.

Hans

That's exactly how Forrest Mims designed a rain detector 20 years or more ago.

That's exactly how Forrest Mims designed a rain detector 20 years or more ago.

So he copied mine, which was made the first time using asphalt laquer about 45 years ago.

DEAR,
to drive a motor from the rain detector

Detecting the rain is easy; if it's applicable to your case, drying out the detector when there is no more rain so it is ready for the next rain event is the hard part.

-Have you an idea on how to make a fryness sensor or humidity sensor? It will be use to detect if the grains are dry...

-Thanks in advance.

-Have you an idea on how to make a fryness sensor or humidity sensor? It will be use to detect if the grains are dry...

-Thanks in advance.

I don't know what your problem is to make a new thread for a everytime new topic??

What is fryness????:confused:

grains ????:confused:

What are you trying to achieve???

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back