Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rain detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beki

i was thinking of doing the rain detector with a buzzer and also include a small circuit that wil alert me if any window is opened,i was thinking of something simple not something that is gonna need programming i was thinking of using logic gates to detect an open window but i dont know where i can put that part of a circuit to work together with the rain detector circuit. can someone assist me on this one

Use an OR gate to combine the outputs of the two detectors.

Thanks for that alec,okay another thing how can i stop the buzzer without the sensor drying up

Last edited:
how can i stop the buzzer without the sensor drying up
If the sensor is wet it will stay wet! Stopping the buzzer won't affect the sensor dryness/wetness.

Pure water is an insulator. Acid rain conducts (if you have a coal-fired electricity generating station upwind).

I have done lots of botched experiments on conductivity of water. I don't fully understand it, but from what I have learned, rain water should have sufficient impurities to be conductive

My tap water conducts almost like a piece of metal.

My tap water (when I tested it last) conducted with KΩ resistance. add a little salt and it does down further. It also seems to present less resistance to higher voltages. For example, test the resistance from one side of a glass of water to the other with a multimeter and then short out a 12V battery with the same water at the same distance; you will see that a lot more amps are drawn from the battery than what should be drawn for the resistance you read with the multimeter.

The accurate detection of something as complex as rain requires a very, very complex and advanced sensor system. Such a system must contain not only highly sensitive electronics but additional highly specialized mechanical engineering also is involved.

I have taken the time to develop such a system with help from my two lab assistants (Brandy & Biscuit a few pound dogs). Attached for your viewing pleasure is an image that represents countless hours of not just development but final assembly.

The white object held in place by the spring loaded jaws of the custom, absolutely one of a kind mechanical device is Acetaminophen a very rare and hard to obtain pharmaceutical. When a few drops of rain water (or any water for that matter) regardless of purity land on the detector of Acetaminophen a very advanced process takes place, it dissolves. This takes place under pressure provided by the highly advanced and developed mechanical device. The open jaws close providing a highly complex sensor output. Please note the highly rare alloy used to cover the tips of the mechanical device.

OK, so it is a an aspirin held in place with a hair clip. I didn't have a spring loaded clothes pin but you get the idea. :)

Ron

Attachments

• Rain Detector.png
    Rain Detector.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 198
Working on it but the dogs who helped with the first design have lost interest. :)

Seriously I used that as a kid with a clothespin. The best aspirin were St. Joseph's Baby Aspirin as they dissolved real easy.

Ron

ah, who needs dogs anyways, they don't even have thumbs. gotta admit that's probably the simplest rain detector possible. I'll have to remember that.

i was thinking of doing the rain detector with a buzzer and also include a small circuit that wil alert me if any window is opened
For a home or a vehicle?

Hi Ron,

you didn't describe how to get the aspirin in the highly sophisticated device.

I always pinch my fingers trying to do that. :(

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back