Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rail To Rail Op amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
gramo said:
I'm having a hard time filtering through the thousands of op-amps out there, perhaps someone could recommend something for me.

I'm looking for a Single Supply, Rail to Rail Op-Amp, capable of 0-10V, something decent, but cheap and readably available.

Like has been said in your previous thread, there's really no such thing as a rail to rail opamp - at least not as far as I'm concerned - it's easier (and more accurate) to design it otherwise (like my analogue tutorial).

gramo said:
Thanks for that Nigel, but the smallest of high and low end error is not an issue.

I'd really like to use the opamp due to component count, simplicity, and speed, along with all the other great things about op-amps such as high input impedance etc

There's no problem using an opamp, I wasn't suggesting doing otherwise, I was suggesting designing it to remove the rail to rail requirement - what are you trying to do anyway?, and why would you have a 10V supply rail?.

hi gramo

Look at the OPA350 from Burr-Brown, rail to rail and single supply.

Eric
as audioguru quotes:
The OPA350 and most other rail-to-rail Cmos opamps has an absolute max supply voltage of only 5.5V.

Last edited:
The OPA350 and most other rail-to-rail Cmos opamps has an absolute max supply voltage of only 5.5V.

Hi,
You are correct.
I'll keep searching.
Eric

Just go on Digikey, search "opamp", select rail-to-rail output. I assume you mean output- note RR input and RR output are two totally different things.

I don't recall ever seeing an RR output op amp over 5v Vdd. I suspect you are looking for a virtually nonexistant part and so I think you're trying to solve your problem the wrong way.

Best thing you can do is come clean about exactly what you want to do (not just your idea on how to solve the problem). Then we can help you.

You may be able to find one, but I agree with Nigel, if you're going to use an opamp go with a split supply. If you're doing 0-10 volts a -12 +12 split supply to power the op amp will increase the performance dramatically.

Sceadwian said:
You may be able to find one, but I agree with Nigel, if you're going to use an opamp go with a split supply. If you're doing 0-10 volts a -12 +12 split supply to power the op amp will increase the performance dramatically.

I agree, if you look closely at some of the data sheets on rail to rail op amps you will see that they might come within only say 10mv of the rail. If you are needing an actual 0 volts output say for a measurement circuit you will be dissapointed. Another way using a single voltage op amp is to bias one input to 1/2 Vcc, you can then cut the input signal with a adjustable trim pot (zero adj) and adjust the gain for the span calibration you want. Lots of different ways to skin cats :)

As others have stated it's better to post your circuit objectives and what your input and output requirements are then to just shop for a component via one specification.

Lefty

audioguru said:
most other rail-to-rail Cmos opamps has an absolute max supply voltage of only 5.5V.
The CA3160 and CA3130 will both work from as high as 16V single rail or +/-8V dual rail and as he's talking about 0-10V not -10V to 10V I assume he only needs a single rail supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back