Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio Shack(?) Biofeedback Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashsite

Banned
I used to have a little biofeedback oscillator that I think was Radio Shack (but, that was 20+ years ago and the mind plays tricks).

Anyway, it was simple to use and effective. I'm trying to find a schematic (I'm sure it was simple as it was probably designed in the '70s). It had 2 rubber cups, similar to spark plug lead end cups, that slipped over 2 fingers and wired into the box. It had a single operational control which allowed adjustment of the oscillator frequency. To use, you'd adjust the oscillator to some frequency and then try to relax to reduce the pulse rate (sounded like a square wave). If the frequency got too low, you'd readjust the oscillator and continue. I'm sure it reacted to skin galvanic response or something similar.

I tried Googling it but, it seems like most results were for the $1k+ professional units and the associated text was high-falutin' medical lingo.

Seems like something that could be done with a 555 timer. Does anyone out there have some experience with this device or something similar? Or...a circuit design or ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Have a look at this link:

**broken link removed**

Does that look like the item you are talking about? I believe that Radio Shack first brought out the device as a "Lie Detector" and then later changed the name to something else to do with Bio Feedback. Page 6 of the linked manual shows the schematic.

I built one last year. It works exactly as you describe.

Last edited:
RadioRon said:
Have a look at this link:

**broken link removed**

Does that look like the item you are talking about? I believe that Radio Shack first brought out the device as a "Lie Detector" and then later changed the name to something else to do with Bio Feedback. Page 6 of the linked manual shows the schematic.

Interesting it uses a case from an intercom! :D

That's the one, a 555 would be quite an advanced design compared to that.

What you may want is an E-Meter :) Same thing but this one detects aliens!
**broken link removed**

Wow! You guys are spot-on...

RadioRon said:
Does that look like the item you are talking about? I believe that Radio Shack first brought out the device...

I had remembered it as being in a blue, rectangular box but, maybe I'd crossed brain neurons with my memories of, Captain Crunch. When I saw the photo on the cover of the instruction manual, it sure did look familiar (however, I can't discount the fact that I have owned RS intercoms so....).

Thanks for the quick and accurate responses.

Would have been nice if RS had shown the complete foil side of the pcb but, since I don't have that case, I guess it doesn't matter. Rather than try to reinvent the wheel with a 666 (Satan's version of the 555), I think I'll try to get off my lazy tush and do my own layout. If I have success, I'll post it to this thread, most likely as a .DXF file.

BTW: I have done some experimenting with using photocopy/laser toner as the resist for pcbs so, if anyone wants some do and don't do's from the trenches, feel free to ask.

I'll look into the "alien detector" but...with some trepidation. There are days I think I may be detected, myself.

I see this is pretty old, But I also use to own one of the biofeedback oscillators. It worked great .. this is the one I owned.. here is the link. Thanks for bringing this up. brought back memories... lol
http://www.extremenxt.com/blog/?page_id=317
micronta-300x224.png RSGSR.png

I loved that RadioShack device the blue ones it was excellent I don't know what I did with it but it got me very interested in biofeedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back