Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio ICs - These things are tiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hello
I got interested in radio with microcontrollers a while back, and now I got some little ICs to work with. They are from integration.com namely:
the IA4220 (transmitter) and IA4320 (receiver), which both come in a 16pin TSSOP.
I'm working on the PCB and design at the moment, but before I continue I has some general, possibly basic questions.
Firstly, these things are tiny, therefore I'm guessing their current limit is obviously less than my favorite 16f628, at only 2mA for "digital output high level" and a maximum of 25mA input into any pin (from what I can make out)
I wanted to make the transmitter board separately to the main board with the PIC. Is there enough current to allow me to put a ribbon cable between boards, or does everything have to be on the one board???
Now I don't know too much, but is that enough to turn on and off my little bc337 or bc227 whichever one it was again?
Diving in the deep end here, but I hopefully will learn fast, thanks

From a quick look at the datasheet, these appear to be chips to make your own licence free radio modules - but why bother?, why not just buy the radio modules ready built?, they are quite cheap to buy and freely available. Building your own won't make them 'licence free', you would have to submit the design for testing and approval, which is a VERY costly process - or just operate them illegally?.

It also makes your software far more complicated, as you have to setup the transmitter and receiver, I notice that the datasheet gives two options for this, either a micro-controller, or an EEPROM.

There should be no problems connecting the chips to micro-controllers or transistors, it's all standard simple stuff.

yeah well, I had to get these intead of ready made modules, because to get those ready made modules here <SA> costs waaaay too much
trust me, our prices are rediculous compared to yours and then consider that the average salary here fits many times into the average where you lucky people live hehe
I'm still on the hunt for some nice modules though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back