Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio controller help

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt098

Let me first say l'm new here so hello.

now l'm trying to pull my head around radio controlled things, so l get how they work but knowing and making are two different things completely...
So l was wondering if someone could draw me up a rough drawing of a working radio controlled swtich that like turns on a LED light 10m away.
Something simplified, or point me in the direction of a working diagram.
cheers in advance

What frequency?

Do you want the light to remain on or turn off when the signal is removed?

What voltage/current does the light require?

How important that the light doesn't turn on even when the switch isn't pressed?

Last edited:
I don't know about matt098, but i would like to use the project to switch on and off a 220V light. I would like the light to remain on after the signal is removed and then to switch off and remain off when the signal is sent again. The frequency does not mattter to me at all.

Where do you live then?

I presume you want to use a frequency that's legal in your location.

Your best option is to use some RF modules I don't know if you can get some cheap modules that just output a logic high when a signal is detected, then you could just connected it to a D type flip-flop and a relay driver.

True l should have put that in there,
-like a push button or switch so the light does turn off
and the least power you can run on ~ 3v is good
thanks in advance

Thanks Hero999. I live in South Africa! and here everything is legal. Heck, even the chairman of our ruling party is busy in a corruption courtcase!!! :p So any Freq will be FINE! I can even use a illegal firearm to switch off the light but hey, the bullets are expensive :)

:D

Does it have to be RF?

IR is much easier.

Someone told me the parts and circuits are very old. How much will the light interfere? Did you try the project yourself? Thanks

I'd like to do IR but what l'm using this for needs to Radio and l'm not looking just to turn on a light ... thats just my start point

But l'll surely have a look at the IR thanx

Maybe you can find an old hampton Bay ceiling fan with radio remote on ebay. Those units have a UHF radio that you could salvage, along with a remote.

um, l dont know where that is but l have a funny feeling that runs on 240v and l live in Aussie, + not worth it if people here can susgest a more suitable solution but thanks

I have a U.S. $40. Hampton Bay ceiling fan right above me that has a radio ctl. I imagine the RF portion uses DC, so 220v or 120v would not matter. I would think you could snag one on ebay for cheap.

BTW, The remote controls light Dim, and fan speed.

Last edited:
What about a receiver from one of those old remote control cars. You know, those cheap $10. ones. The control outputs could drive a relay or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back