Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.J.

Hi,

I am looking for a something that will help my radio recieve better stations.

I've heard that using a passive antenna set at the frequency you desire will improve reception. Does anyone have a schematics for one?

Hears how I think a passive antenna works:
By using a big coil to get more power, the passive antenna circuit resonated at the same frequency as your radio is set. Now by recieving the signal with device, the radio will have better reception.
Is that explanation anywhere's close to what a passive antenna does?

I don't have the know how to build one myself. So I wanted a schematic from someone here who has the expertise to biuld a good one.

Any help is appreciated.

D.J.

D.J. said:
Hi,

I am looking for a something that will help my radio recieve better stations.

I've heard that using a passive antenna set at the frequency you desire will improve reception. Does anyone have a schematics for one?

Hears how I think a passive antenna works:
By using a big coil to get more power, the passive antenna circuit resonated at the same frequency as your radio is set. Now by recieving the signal with device, the radio will have better reception.
Is that explanation anywhere's close to what a passive antenna does?

I don't have the know how to build one myself. So I wanted a schematic from someone here who has the expertise to biuld a good one.

Any help is appreciated.

Almost all aerials are passive - in fact even those that aren't passive are passive really, just with added electronics.

Making an aerial bigger is more likely to reduce the signal, aerials should be specific sizes for the frequency in use - there are ways to make them 'better', but this is basically by making them directional (either horizontally or vertically).

You really need to give far more details of what you are wanting to do, including the type of radio, what aerial socket it has, and what bands you are wanting.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

The passive antenna I want is a devise that goes on an antenna. All I know is that it has a big coil and a variable capacitor that resonate at the frequency set. Do you have a schematic for one.

The bands shouldn't be important should they. I just want the circuit, and I assume, by changing the capacitors I could recieve wahtever band(or station) I want.

I don't have the radio right now, I'm actually doing this for someone else. But the radio cost somewheres around fourty, fifty dollars. I think its just the area we are in.

Thanks

D.J.

D.J. said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

The passive antenna I want is a devise that goes on an antenna. All I know is that it has a big coil and a variable capacitor that resonate at the frequency set. Do you have a schematic for one.

The bands shouldn't be important should they. I just want the circuit, and I assume, by changing the capacitors I could recieve wahtever band(or station) I want.

I don't have the radio right now, I'm actually doing this for someone else. But the radio cost somewheres around fourty, fifty dollars. I think its just the area we are in.

Thanks

D.J.

This sounds like an ATU (Aerial/Antenna Tuning Unit), it usually goes between a long wire aerial and a shortwave receiver - it's to match the too short long wire to the radio.

Hi Nigel,

I think that might be what I'm after.

Someone told me about it a while back, what I told you was really All I got out of him.

Do you have the schematic for the thing you where talking about?

All I know is that it consists of a coil and capacitor in parallel, that resonates at a certain frequency, that is supposed to recieve the signal for the radio.

I did hear the guy say, that the passive antenna was supposed to be beside the radio, not touching it.

Thanks

D.J.

D.J. said:
Hi Nigel,

I think that might be what I'm after.

Someone told me about it a while back, what I told you was really All I got out of him.

Do you have the schematic for the thing you where talking about?

All I know is that it consists of a coil and capacitor in parallel, that resonates at a certain frequency, that is supposed to recieve the signal for the radio.

I did hear the guy say, that the passive antenna was supposed to be beside the radio, not touching it.

An ATU connects between an aerial and the aerial socket on the receiver, the sort of device you're talking about isn't likely to do very much.

One 'similar' sort of thing is a frame aerial, which is often active, and the radio can sit inside it, but it still needs a connection to the aerial socket.

Hi,

IS the attachment a good ATU? I found the schematic on the internet.

"One 'similar' sort of thing is a frame aerial, which is often active, and the radio can sit inside it, but it still needs a connection to the aerial socket."

This seems pretty neat, How does it work?

Thanks for your help,

D.J.

Attachments

• atu.jpeg
    atu.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 755
D.J. said:
Hi,

IS the attachment a good ATU? I found the schematic on the internet.

"One 'similar' sort of thing is a frame aerial, which is often active, and the radio can sit inside it, but it still needs a connection to the aerial socket."

This seems pretty neat, How does it work?

It's a large coil of wire, with the windings usually spaced apart, so you can tap on different windings - they usually have a tuning capacitor on them as well - and quite often have an active amplifier to improve performance.

It's a very old idea, in fact it was the predecessor of ferrite rod aerials, and gives a similar (directional) performance.

A loop antenna might be suitable - typically used for frequencies below 10 mHz. A ferrite rod is a small version of a loop antenna.

The loop antenna that I have is a coil of wire supported by a wood frame- 24 inches square with about 20 turns of wire and a 365 pf variable capacitor in parallel. The capacitor is adjusted to the frequency of interest. The energy from the loop can be connected to a radio via a coupling loop or the radio (usually a portable) can be set close to the loop. The loop must be rotated to the optimum position. This one is set up for the AM broadcast band here in the US. Less turns would work for higher frequencies (up to 10 mHz).

Dipoles can be excellent antennas at higher frequencies. At 1500 kHz a dipole would have to be 312 ft long to be resonant - not always practical. Inductors could be added to get a shorter dipole to resonate. at 10 mHz a dipole would be 47 ft long- more practical. At 100 mHz the dipole would be 4.7 ft long. The elements of many directional beams are similar in length to those of a dipole.

Inductors and capacitors can be used to improve the match between the antenna system and receiver (or transmitter). This will often improve the reception.

Anyway, just trying to supplement prior responses. What is the frequency or band of interest?

DJ - I can't see the schematic.

AM broadcast band here in US is 550-1700 kHz. FM is 88-108 mHz. The antennas would be quite different though one could argue that adding any length of wire might improve either situation. Still - the demands of each band are different.

Describe what you have now and where you live. Note that adding an antenna in an RF rich environment can cause as many problems as it solves. A stronger signal at the input can overload your receiver -some being more sensitive than others.

Do you want the antennas to be directional? If directional, you'll need the means to rotate it - mechanically or electronically.

Typically the loop or ferrite loop is good for the AM broadcast band. A length of wire can work but isn't ideal. A log periodic yagi is a good directional choice for the FM band. The loop and the yagi require some means to rotate them. A discone could work well for the FM band and is omni-directional.

Hi Steve,

Sorry my computor is acting up again, can't get the schematic to post right.

Lets work on the Am band first, that's what I want mostly. My radio was only twenty dollars. Dosen't play CD's right and obviously doesn't get good radio stations. So I don't care if this one gets broke experimenting.

The radio station is located on top of a mountain about thirty miles away, it is a clear path to our house.

So a capacitor and inductor placed parallel, one end of the inductor is antenna and the other goes to my radio antenna. Is that what you are talking about?

Not sure about the antenna. My antenna is just a straight wire, so if it could be positions straight up I would be happy.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

D.J.

When I was a kid I made an ugly big coil like that and tuned it with a variable cap from another AM radio. I connected this big coill/cap to a long antenna and ground. I positioned my AM radio on the coil so that its loopstick inside was aligned correctly with the coil. It made my cheap radio extremely sensitive and have very good selectivity! :lol:

I have been told that you can place a radio in close proximity (within a foot) of a tuned loop and see a significant improvement in signal level - suggesting that there is coupling between the loop and the radio's internal antenna.

Another suggested method is to wrap some turns of wire around your radio - then connect the wires to the link of the tuned loop. You might have to reorient the turns that you've wrapped around your radio for best coupling.

In the past I have actually wrapped turns of wire around the internal loopstick of the radio (insulated) and connected the end of the wire to the antenna and ground.

Again, a note of caution - that more signal level into the radio may solve one problem and create another - but it's worth a try. If the radio is AC powered I'd avoid putting wires inside that lead outside of the case unless you are sure of what you are doing.

AM or Broadcsat Band Signal Booster

Does anyone have a good schematic or circuit description of an AM signal booster using a ferrite rod and a 365 pf variable condensor?

Thanks
Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back