Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radar for small, private aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccurtis

Hey, everyone. I'm trying to help someone who is a pilot of a small, private aircraft. He is interested in a surveillance radar system lightweight easy to install on Cessna, King Air or Pilatus type aircraft. It's to track other aircraft in the area around him in flight. I don't know the range required. Any suggestions, suppliers, experience with using them here? Thanks.

First thought was go look at small boat systems, Then it occurred to me that planes have very strict rules! Personally I would direct the question to the plane makers and or a company that specializes in customizing planes. They should be able to give you an idea what is and isnt allowed as well of the name of any systems you could use.
I might be over cautious but I am a nervous flier at the best of times :D

The up and coming system mandated for all USA aircraft by 2020 is ADDS-B. By then all aircraft (including light GA) that operate in busy airspace must be equipped with the ability to automatically broadcast their own GPS-derived position, heading, airspeed (no radar interrogation involved). All suitably-equipped aircraft can receive and display nearby traffic.

I have two aircraft which I have not yet equipped. I am hoping that more and cheaper FAA approved systems will come on line as the deadline approaches.

Furuno systems are used on boats, x band is common, beware though they may not be legal for air use.
Building such a thing would require significant skill and time, unless yu can getready made modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back