Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radar Detector Visual Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashcup

Hello! Brand new here, just found this forum while looking for help on an idea I want to pursue. Is this a good place for a novice to ask questions about how to build a particular circuit?

What I would like to do is add a visual alert to a radar detector on my motorcycle. The whole visual vs audio alert has been debated at length on MC-related forums, but for my purposes, I believe the best solution is a visual alert.

I've looked at a few commercial products, and some may work for me, but may not be ideal. So I'm exploring the idea of making my own.

Hopefully I'll be able to add an image of a system block diagram to help explain.

I want to be able to take the audio output from the RD earphone jack and trigger an array of flashing LED's as my alert that a radar signal has been detected. I want the LEDs to flash at a fast rate that will easily get my attention in my peripheral vision, perhaps about 5-6 times per second.

I also want to be able the vary the LED intensity according to ambient light levels. Needs to be very bright to be seen in direct sunlight, but that would be blinding at night. One commercial product claims to vary the intensity by changing the audio output level at the earphone jack. That's a possibility, but ideally I would like to be able to use a photo sensor (photoresistor?) to accomplish this automatically.

**broken link removed**
System Block Diagram.

I'm hoping I can find some help with this. I understand circuit theory, although it's been a long time since I've worked with electronics. I have access to the tools I need to make some kind of prototype.

To try to make this easier for myself, I want to tackle this in separate chunks.
The first would be driving the LEDs, being able to experiment with flash rates and intensity, and getting a feel for how much intensity it takes to easily grab my attention.

Second would be figuring out how to process the audio signal and use it to trigger the LED flashes. Third would be figuring out the ambient light sensing part of it.

If I could figure all these out through experimentation, then I'd like to design a circuit that puts it all together that I can test on the bike.

I appreciate any and all thoughts here. I'll try adding a second post for a few questions about "Phase 1".

Thanks!
Keith

hi Keith,
I appreciate any and all thoughts here. I'll try adding a second post for a few questions about "Phase 1".
My personal response to you, would be to drive within the National speeds limits, they are there for a purpose, hopefully to prevent accidents, injury or death to yourself or some innocent third party.
IMHO anyone found using such a device should be automatically prosecuted.

Sorry to be so 'heavy' with your first post, but I have strong feelings about devices that try to circumvent the law.

Last edited:
Hello, Eric

Well, you're obviously entitled to your opinion. I'm sorry that I apparently won't be getting any help from you on this project.

I don't totally agree with you on the purpose of speed laws. If you were to ride with me, I could show you location after location after location where the speed limit is below the speed of safe travel. Why? Revenue generation is a big reason. Another is people with homes along the street or road who are simply annoyed at the sound of traffic driving by. Those that have enough money and/or influence get their city or county to lower the speed limit.

Keith

Hello, Eric

Well, you're obviously entitled to your opinion. I'm sorry that I apparently won't be getting any help from you on this project.

I don't totally agree with you on the purpose of speed laws. If you were to ride with me, I could show you location after location after location where the speed limit is below the speed of safe travel. Why? Revenue generation is a big reason. Another is people with homes along the street or road who are simply annoyed at the sound of traffic driving by. Those that have enough money and/or influence get their city or county to lower the speed limit.

Keith

hi Keith,
Thanks for your reply.
The flaw in your logic is that the road traffic acts and speed controlled areas are there for your protection, in fact they exist in an attempt to protect the rest us road users against drivers like yourself.
Consider a winding road thru a small country village that has a 30mph speed limit, the resident drivers and pedestrians using the roads in that village believe they can manoeuvre and have time to cross the road in some safety, only to find as they are crossing the road, a driver exceeding the speed limit takes them out.

This scenario is not hypothetical, it has happened many times, especially to children and the elderly.

By slowing down and observing the speed limits you will add only a few minutes to your journey time which I think is a fair trade off against someones life.

I have expressed my opinion, I hope I have convinced you.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back