Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Qusetion about power of a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawula

I want to wind a 12-0-12V, 20A transformer for an inverter. My question is how to calculate the power of the transformer. Is it 12*20 = 240W or 24*20 = 480W (Because 12-0-12 if 24 volts full wave). Please help me

In the push-pull transistors that drive the transformer, only one transistor conducts 12V/20A at a time. So the output power is 12V x 20A= 240W if the transistors are low on-resistance Mosfets and the transformer has no resistance. Your inverter will have a square-wave output voltage that is the proper voltage when it has no load. But its output voltage will be too low when it has a load due to the resistance of the transistors and the transformer.
Many electronic products do not work from a square-wave because they depend on the higher peak voltage of a sine-wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back