Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quik PIC Programming kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

A teacher at my HS wanted to start a Computer Class, teaching about hardware, software, and computer languages, so I talked to him about putting a PIC class in it too. So then I set about a Kit of parts that would make any half brain dead HS student (besides me :)) not lose all the parts like a kindergartener loosing his gloves, and having their parents pin them to their coat like a "very special person" :D

Anyways, I decided to call this the Quik PIC, because it has everything you will need to start your magical PIC adventure. I will get pictures later, once my camera is working again.

The Kit is consisted of 3 sections:

1st: The first section contains all the important passive components, such as the Resistors, Capacitors, Wires, LED's and Diodes. I have label's depicting where each thing should go, and hopefully the half "special persons" will be able to figure it out, The only thing else they would need is a picture guide :D

2nd: The 2nd layer is a mostly empty section right now, as it contains a plethora of :mu:Controllers, 2 16F887 3 16F88 3 16F886 and 3 18F1320. This layer will also contain some Standard Digital chips, such as inverters and stuff if needed, aka counters.

3rd: The 3rd and final layer is for the programmer (my favorite!), The INCHWORM+. It is bolted in with standoffs, so it is completely contained. There is also a hole on the side where you can insert the Cable to connect into to computer, along with the power. It is easily accessible and you can reach anywhere on the board easily, with the breadboard 1 inch away, so you don't have to worry about the wire falling out or anything like that.

Overall, I am VERY happy with how this turned out, far better than what I was thinking. It was simple to make and I recommend to anybody that wishes to make their PIC experience more exciting and easier to build one of these. All I did was:

Step 1: Went to my local Lobotomy Mart (wall mart, also referred to as Zombie mart, Crazy mart, and Watching Fat women beat their kid's Mart) and picked up a $2.83 Toolbox, named "for tools" by Keter. Hmmm wonder what it was intended for...

Step 2: Picked up 4 3/4inch standoff's from Radioshack.

Step 3: I labeled where I wanted each part to go with my $5 label maker that the refill packs cost $10 each, when my label maker came with one in it. So it would be cheaper to buy another label maker than to buy a refill pack. :)

Step 4. I "carefully" laid out where all the holes would go and "carefully" started drilling. When I was done, everything looked good except for the 9 pin hole, which is 3 times too big and off center, with lumpy sides on it. It still looks good (overall package) with plenty of space for the 5V adapter and the 9pin cable.

I will post picture soon!

You cant steal my name, Quik PIC, because it is awesome and I will beat you to death with a rubber chicken (joking, I don't care if you use it, I don't even have a rubber chicken :()

This whole kit was planned to make your PIC experience easier and neater, and I hope it helps at least one person out, because then I would be happy :)

I agree. We need pictures, krummy!

I think we should all pool money together and get krummy a new camera with a tripod, that way the pics won't be wavy.... XD

na just use less money and give it to him so he can send the kit to me and I'll photograph it perhaps if its good he might be convinced to let me keep it hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back