Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the current requirement of your video receiver is less than 500mA then yes
Since you told it runs on battery i guess the current required by your receiver is very less so there will not be any problem using the wall plug

Reading between the lines here, were you affraid that a 500mA output could fry something?

See, the wall adapter doesn't output 500mA, but it *can* output up to 500 mA. The actual output depends on the target circuitry which will draw what it needs. Up to 500mA.

Plug a device rated 9V 750mA and see what happens. Just kidding ;)

moody07747 said:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage (Myth busters)

I love that show :)

Joel Rainville said:
Reading between the lines here, were you affraid that a 500mA output could fry something?

See, the wall adapter doesn't output 500mA, but it *can* output up to 500 mA. The actual output depends on the target circuitry which will draw what it needs. Up to 500mA.

Plug a device rated 9V 750mA and see what happens. Just kidding ;)

There's a bit more to these plug in wall adapter devices. A cheap (tranformer/rectifier) one has a poor voltage regulation, you may get 11 or 12V at low current draw and just under 9V at 500mA.
If you have a switch mode plug pack then the output is much more stable, as you would expect for the extra price :wink:

Klaus

Klaus said:
There's a bit more to these plug in wall adapter devices. A cheap (tranformer/rectifier) one has a poor voltage regulation, you may get 11 or 12V at low current draw and just under 9V at 500mA.

Indeed. But that knowledge probably won't help moody grasp the basic concept I was trying to explain, and chances are it is a lot more confusing than helping here.

But hey, here's your chance to be helpful :

I use a 19V wall plug that came with an old laptop. It's rated at 2.4A. When powering small circuits drawing anywhere between 10 and 200ma, the output is a steady 19.4V. What can I expect when I get near 2.4A? Same voltage? A bit closer to 19.0V? Or lower than 19V (which I doubt)?... Would this qualify as a nicely regulated supply?

Joel Rainville said:
I use a 19V wall plug that came with an old laptop. It's rated at 2.4A. When powering small circuits drawing anywhere between 10 and 200ma, the output is a steady 19.4V. What can I expect when I get near 2.4A? Same voltage? A bit closer to 19.0V? Or lower than 19V (which I doubt)?... Would this qualify as a nicely regulated supply?

i have an old gateway power pack
ill have to try plugging that in

Joel Rainville said:
Klaus said:

Indeed. But that knowledge probably won't help moody grasp the basic concept I was trying to explain, and chances are it is a lot more confusing than helping here.

But hey, here's your chance to be helpful :

I think what Klaus is trying to say is:
If the TV receiver is built for battery use only (no external power connector). Then it probably won't have much voltage regulation inside ('cause a battery is pretty clean power by itself)...
If you connect an unregulated 9V wall-wart wich, when the load is not high enough, will put out more then 9V (12 or maybe more) it could damage your receiver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back