Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

quick max232 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

Is it possible to obtain a -12V supply (or close to it) from a max232?
Alex_rcpilot posted this image here where he obtained a +13V supply to use for programming PIC's.

Is it possible to get a -12v output? I'm trying to build a PID controller and there is an opamp that requires a +/-12 supply.

The output from a MAX232 is usually about +/-10V or so, the circuit above looks to have an extra voltage-doubler to give it more.

The current availability from a MAX232 is only low, how much do you need?, and how critical is the voltage?. Is your only available supply rail 5V?, if you have a higher rail it would be easier to generate a -12V rail.

I only have a +12V supply and I need a +/-12V and a +5V.
I dont think there will be that much of a draw on the -12V supply. Its only used for the neg. supply rail of an op amp. So I have alittle play in the voltage levels (I think)

Looking over the schematic some more, they do pull the -12V supply from the max232. Comes off of pin 6.

jrz126 said:
I only have a +12V supply and I need a +/-12V and a +5V.
I dont think there will be that much of a draw on the -12V supply. Its only used for the neg. supply rail of an op amp. So I have alittle play in the voltage levels (I think)

Depends on what the op amp is driving. The output current comes from the - supply when the output is below ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back