Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick loudspeaker quistion series parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

I have two loudspeakers at 6 ohm each, my amplifier can go to a minimum of 4 ohm. But I want to use these two loudspeakers in a parallel system on a single output (since it is allready setup like this with 100 meter long cables).
That setup would give me 3 ohm on the setup.
My quistion is, can I just add another 3 ohm resistor in series with my setup? To increase the total resistance to 6 ohm.
I am able to buy a 60 watt resistor for 15 euro so it aint that bad :) and should be enough.

Last edited:
And what if I measure the resistance through the cable, and it shows me like 3 ohm xD (since I have very long cables for some outdoor use), would that resistance maybe be enough?

so if I try and measure the cable resistance, this could maybe just be enough? Just have to be more than one ohm. Cause I might actually need a very big resistor at 120 watt, and that cost a fortune.

I would suggest you simply connect the speakers in series - and see how that works. The overly long leads will be adding significant resistance loss anyway, and putting them in series will reduce the losses in the cable.

However, for such extreme cable lengths you should use 100V line rather than low impedance speakers.

I don't think that 3 ohm will damage the amp. Especially with such a long distance in cabling. I agree with Nigel, such a PA system should be using 100v line to reduce losses. Note 100v line is merely a term of reference. I have measured >400V peak on such systems on full steam.

Get a pair of hefty mains transformers e.g. 240-12 and step up at the amp and step down at the speakers. It reduces the i^2 * R losses. Just like the National Grid that uses several hundred KV with step up at the power station and step down at the sub station.

Make sure the amp is off when wiring as it can give you a fairly nasty nip on the fingers if audio is present.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back