Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick ICSP question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bitem2k said:
ok, cheers mate.
So whats the point of the bootloader then?

The point of a bootloader is so you can program the device in circuit without using ICSP - ICSP requires data, clock, and MCLR lines - a bootloader just requires one line, the RXD on the serial port, which may already be connected to RS232 anyway.

My programmer has some pins for ICSP built in,
However it doesnt label which pins are which, and whats more there are 6 pins (most of the others have 5?). The first pin is labeled 1.
Are the pins in any sort of order? If so could you please tell me the order as im making a cable to connect the programmer icsp to my circuit.

many thanks

Most often the 6 pin ICSPs are ordered as shown below. Wire the VDD to the +5 on your target board if you want to power the target from the programmer. Pin six is for low voltage programming which you can ignore.

The diagram is for a 8 pin pic. The location of the ICSP signals are different for PICs with different pin counts. (you knew that):) Look at your PIC data sheet for the location.

**broken link removed**

I saw that website, but was unsure if my programmer would use the same wiring.
Difficult to read you mind. I do not know what programmer you have. That info would help. Most 6 pin setups are as shown in the graphic. Check the documentation for the programmer?

The PIC12F629 is an 8 pin part and hooks up exactly like the PIC12F675 shown in the graphic.

Ive tried using those pins, but it doesnt work.
I dont even know what my programmer is, or who it is made by.
The ******* ebayer wont respond to my emails.
I think that its masquerading as a DIYKIT K-149BC.
If you goto the manufacturers website for this series, they dont look anything like the thing that ive got. For a start my board is red, and it came assembled. Their boards are green, and do not come assembled.

Do you have any tips for working out which pins are which?

thanks

Off the top of my head.

The ground pin you should be able to find with an ohm meter.

To find MCLR/VPP pin.

Connect to the ICD2 with MPLAB.

Select the programmer type as ICD2.

Under programmer you should see release from reset
if you click on that it should change to hold in reset.
This should toggle the VPP/MCLR line each time you click it.

You can watch each of the rest of the pins with a scope (if you have one) as you do a connect. The CLK and DATA will be the two that toggle. The one remaining at +5 will be the +5 line. You will not hurt it if you get the CLK and DATA mixed up so you can try it both ways.

If you have a digital scope you should be able to tell the diff between the CLK and data line.

The PGM pin should not be connected to anything.

ok thanks mate, will give that a try.
Ive got no scope unfortunately, just have to try a bit of hit and miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back