Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick and Easy Op Amp Spec Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have a MC33172 Opamp wired in a non-inverting configuration powered with 0 and +5V rails. What line items on the datasheet indicates how close the input can be to each rail?

It's this bit :-

Input Common Mode Voltage Range
TA = +25°C
VEE to (VCC −1.8)
TA = Tlow to Thigh (Note 3)
VEE to (VCC −2.2)

In other words the input can be as low as the bottom rail, but must be at least 1.8V less than the top rail (at 25C).

Input Common Mode Voltage Range.
Vee to Vcc-1.8V at 25C
Vee to Vcc-2.2V at -40C to +85C

So at room temperature the inputs should work from Vee supply to 1.8 volts down form Vcc supply.
I think at your case from 0V to 3.2V.

The MC33172 can use the same low supply voltage, has inputs that work at oV and has the same low supply current as an LM358 but it does not have the terrible crossover distortion and can go to 35kHz instead of only 2kHz.
So I used it in my Sound Level Indicator project.

Attachments

• Sound Level Indicator schematic rev1.PNG
    Sound Level Indicator schematic rev1.PNG
    66.4 KB · Views: 148
AND that would be why I asked. I will need to bump Vcc so I can get to +5V in and out. It does not look like a negative Vee rail will be needed though. I think that's why you three helped me select this opamp way back when.

If not all of the opamps in the package (ie., only one of two in a dual package) are used, what should be done to the inputs and outputs of the unsed opamps?

AND that would be why I asked. I will need to bump Vcc so I can get to +5V in and out.
Then use a more modern "rail-to-rail" opamp.

If not all of the opamps in the package (ie., only one of two in a dual package) are used, what should be done to the inputs and outputs of the unsed opamps?
I would bias the (+) input at half the supply voltage and connect the (-) input to the output to make this opamp a follower.

Although it's never really said, unused inputs should generally be biased so that it results at the lowest power dissipation. Mandatory? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back